1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 files on psp

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by kreeger, Mar 11, 2007.

1. kreeger

kreeger Guest

i'm trying to put call of duty ps2 on my psp and it came in like 20 files unlike all my other games i extracted the files and one archive and a mds file where do i put the mds file on my memory stick i'm running the 3.03 oec from dark alex do i need another emulator to run this file and if so where is a good place to look or begin my search if you can help it will be appreciated thanks all and can i play xbox 360 games ive heard of it but not sure also ps3 if you have one you can play your games on your psp sounds sweet if the psp can match the graphics of the new systems

2. staxx

staxx Regular member

I'm pretty sure that you can't run anything past ps1 which would be ps2, xbox, xbox 360, and ps3. I could be mistaken tho, i just haven't seen anyone do it or heard of anyone doing it.

3. shauntay

shauntay Regular member

yeah stax is right theres no way of playin anythin from a higher console than the ps1, i doubt u will ever get to play your 360 games on it either, its just common sense really.

4. gerikoh

gerikoh Regular member

@kreeger
    have you seen one? 360? but i don't think the psp is capable of running a 360 game on it. the ps2 yes it's highly possible. psp specs are slightly better than the ps2.

PSP: clock=333mhz / graphics=166mhz
    PS2: clock=299mhz / graphics=147mhz

:D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  5. paul91

paul91 Regular member

u will NEVER be able to emulate PS2 on PSP! Its not possible!

the N64 can just be emulated but even so its still not perfect

and emulating 360 games on the PSP? you've got to be kidding! PC's cant even emulate xbox 360's

6. shauntay

shauntay Regular member

yeah but to emulate a ps2 game the psp would have to be well more powerfull, the psp struggles with n64 games, an average pc would prob just about run a ps2 game emulated and thats well more powerfull than a psp

edit: lol paul we posted the same kinda thing at the same time, ah well he shud get the idea now

7. gerikoh

gerikoh Regular member

^yeah but psp has more compressed graphics than the ps2. it means a ps2 game, on a low resolution would mean a lower power. for instance take a look at ace combat x and ace combat zero. both are very similar w/ each other despite of the odds. and a lot of people even say that acx's graphics is slightly better than that of acz. it is because psp games don't need to stretch the graphics unlike the ps2. and stretching a graphics would require more power. i say mate', it is possible.

8. paul91

paul91 Regular member

gerikoh u can think what u like but the fact is PS2 games will NEVER be played on this generation PSP :p

9. paul91

paul91 Regular member

if it was possible surely everyone would be doing it

10. gerikoh

gerikoh Regular member

it takes time for one to make a breakthrough. you just have to wait.

but i guess they're working on it already.
    before in this forums, i always used to ask if they can emulate a psx on a psp, and everyone would just laugh and say, "are you crazy? it's not possible!" and now it is i who gets to laugh back at them twice. in this case, i'm sure you don't want to be one of them. and specs shows the stats and it's highly possible.

11. paul91

paul91 Regular member

ok it looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree then :p

12. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

i dont agree with paul, i KNOW hes right :p

If you think the PSP can run PS2 games you are VERY dissilusioned, on a small screen, yes the PSP's graphics could be mistaken for PS2, but blow it up to TV size and they look horrendus.

The PS2's textures would never be able to run on the PSP because they consume too much memory. The physics are contolled by the "Emotion Engine". The PSP doesn't even HAVE a dedicated physics controller.

Not only that but the architecture would be completely different, take for example the N64, the games emulated on the PSP are so slow because the PSP has to emulate the hardware functions of the N64 before it even runs the game! So even though the PSP urinates all over the N64's specs, it will take a lot of coding to get them to full speed.

N64:
    CPU: 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz)
    Co-processor: 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz)
    RAM: 4MB

PSP:
    CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
    Main Memory: 32MB
    Embedded DRAM: 4MB

PS2:
    128-bit "Emotion Engineā„¢"
    System Clock Frequency 294.912 MHz
    Main Memory Direct RDRAM
    Memory Size 32 MB
    Graphics "Graphics Synthesizer"
    Clock Frequency 147.456 MHz

Then consider the PS2 architecture, with massively higher specs

Mark my words, PS2 games will never run on PSP. FACT

13. gerikoh

gerikoh Regular member

afterall, development just needs innovation, open-mindedness, and a lot of work. :)

14. paul91

paul91 Regular member

at least someone agrees :D

15. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

Sony designed the PSP to use the original PSX architecture, they did this soley to be able to emulate PSX games, and to release their PSX emulator.

True, but it also requires fast enough hardware :p

16. gerikoh

gerikoh Regular member

isn't it too early to state that fact? i know that the ps2 really has a better graphics and it's obvious if the psp is connected to a tv. but what i'm saying is it doesn't require the ps2 game to connect to the tv and all you have to look just on its screen. why not make a ps2-psp converter that could erase the unnecessary pixels so that on the psp game. come on man, you don't have to close your mind for somethin' that hasn't even been tried yet. yeah and this is a forums too, everything here is a share of opinions and ideas.

well in thesis, i'd say use the alternate hypothesis:
    i accept the fact that it is possible to run ps2 games coz' there is no proof that the psp can't run ps2 games on it :p

17. paul91

paul91 Regular member

omg get it into your head that it WONT happen :O

18. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

Ok ok i give, THEORETICALLY, hardware limitations and massive architectural design flaws aside, the PSP might me able to run them at a much reduced framerate, like 5-10fps.

As for removing pixels that would be like clipping an image, would be very hard to do, and might not even give a performance increase. If it was going to be done someone would have to resize the screen from the PS2 size, down to 408x272, and downsize all the textures manually.

IF this was actually possible, and the coder was prepared to set aside 6 months+ pf his life, then yes it could be done :p

EDIT for clarity: This still wont happen, and if it was even possible, a F/R of 10fps would likely never be achieved

19. gerikoh

gerikoh Regular member

well i say 6 months or even a year is worth for the millions of people who hunger to play good graphic games such as the ps2. but if i was that person who can manage to decode the converter, i'd charge the whole homebrew for some $5m. haha :p
    if i only knew how to develop a ps2 game. :(

20. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

Ah but you see the PSP has already reached its graphic limit, if PS2 games were able to be played then the graphics of PSP games would be miles better. (proof it cant)

Which converter do you mean?