1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Flip top case (not cover) help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by cynthemk, Mar 28, 2007.

1. cynthemk

cynthemk Member

I recently got a PS2 Flip Top case (like https://www.thegiantstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=325)
    It makes a lot of noise when I turn it on. I think it's the white disk since that's what it was for most other people, and the noise will stop if I open up the flip cover. I replaced the white disk that came with the cover with my original one, but that for some reason made even more noise, and would somehow stop the disc from spinning very much at all unless I put some weight on the top of the ps2 (which I've heard is bad for it)
    I read a bit of that massive thread that talks about flip top covers and it talks about loosening the screws that are holding the white disk in the flip top cover to lower it, but the one I have doesn't have any screws in the flip cover, so there's no way for me to lower it really.. I've tried tightening the screws on the ps2 case itself a bit but that hasn't done much
    I also saw something about sanding the disk or something? What do I do exactly for that?
    Any other ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well, what i had to do had nothing to do with the disc. My games would not play because the screws in the bottom of the PS2 were too tight and i had to loosen them. Then my discs loaded. As far as the noise, yes they are noisy, that is not going to go away. As loang as you can get games to load and play correctly then you should be fine.

3. cynthemk

cynthemk Member

well, I've tried even taking out the screws totally, and it still has the same problems. It makes the noise, and if the screws are loose/not there then sometimes the disc will just come up and sort of come off the exact tray itself. One thing however, is that the front of the DVD tray that came with the case is just kind of on pushed on there and not screwed in (because I was using a slide card before and I removed the front, but now can't find it/the screw), and when I push the front of the tray in, it still makes the noise but the disc generally seems to keep spinning and not randomly stopping and making as much scratching noises. But the noise is still there more so than if I were to put some weight on the PS2. Could the screw not being in the front of the tray be the problem? Also, when the disc is spinning, what is the white disk on top supposed to be doing? Is it supposed to be spinning really fast along with the DVD/CD, or is it supposed to be only spinning a little, or none at all?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

it spins and basically just keeps the disc in place. Nothing too major. I would not know about the screws in the front of the tray though. It is most likely something small though. Something is just not sitting right.

5. cynthemk

cynthemk Member

Wait so, what I don't get is how does loosening the screws lower the disk? To me at least it seems as if the more I loosen them the more noise the disk makes/the less it spins with the DVD. Also, I'm missing a few of the screws, I only have 5, but one of them isn't going to fit anyway because of the extra screw you put inside the flip top to hold the eject/reset buttons in place.

6. 3lement

3lement Regular member

its probably the with little peice on the top of the flip cover. the disc spinning is probably making it shalke around. i mean if its really loud then you probably did something wrong. hope you can fix it.

7. cynthemk

cynthemk Member

Well, I tried messing around with the screws a bit more and kind of got it to make less noise, but now it gives me disc read errors sometimes now,, especially with PS1 games. But, the noise pretty much all goes away if I put like a controller or something on top of the PS2, will this cause any damage to it?

8. 3lement

3lement Regular member

No as long as its not too heavy or right on top of the lens. Does your ps2 work now?

9. cynthemk

cynthemk Member

It's giving me disc read errors with PS1 games/the PS1 discs arent spinning very fast and they keep stopping, but my swap magic and other ps2 games are working fine other than a few DREs here and there

10. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Did you take the dvd rom thing apart at all? if you did maybe you messed something up in there. if not then i dunno.

11. Talic

Talic Member

I'm having the same problem as you. I bought the same flip top from the same site and the only difference is mines not multicolored. I've installed the same flip top on 4 ps2s so far and all seem to have the same problem in different degrees(mine being the worst). Hell, this piece of garbage damaged my own copy of Swap Magic on the 2nd day because it spun off of the disc spinner(luckily my lens was untouched). I haven't had any disc read errors but it makes an really loud noises and loads slower than usual.

I'm not gonna even bother trying any more. I'm gonna buy myself a mod-chip instead because these flip tops seem to be major death-traps for the ps2 lens, and the last thing i want to do is spend $50 on a new lens that I'll have to install myself.

12. cynthemk

cynthemk Member

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I've tried like 3 different products so far and it really seems like there's no real good way to do this other than a real mod chip.

13. steimy

steimy Active member

just make sure you do your reaserch before jumping into anything. A mod chip is by far the best option. BUt knowing what you want your PS2 to do will help with a chip choice. Also finding a reputable site to install it (Teammodders.com if your in the USA, you can buy the chip and have the install done)

my top 4 + key feature
    Crystal Chip V2.0 - has DNAS auto patching for playing games online (other chips you have to patch the back up manually before bruning), can download programs to run a hard drive

Matrix Infinity Green Dot- all around solid chip, a top pick by the installer i know

DMS4 Pro SE- said to be a little less stable then the above, key features are it can run an internal hard drive, load ELF (homebrew) applications like media players, and has a built in cheat device. I have two of these and have never had any problems. The one downside is there is not longer any support for them, so no firmware upgrade are on the way.

Duo3 Gold - solid, stable and cheap. Duo has been making great chips for years. No firmware upgrades or advanced features. Just for those who only want a chip to play back up games and nothing else.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  14. Mexjas

Mexjas Member

hey dude i got the exact same problem and i have been tinkering with it for almost 3 hours now. 5 min installation my rear. I am really frustrated. It sounds like my ps2 is struggling to read the disk i have taken out all the screws. I did manage to get the dvd boot disk to get me to the loader screen but that was it....When i tried it again it failed to read the disk..........Are you any closer to finding a solution?

15. cynthemk

cynthemk Member

Hey, I kinda solved it, what the main problem was was that I was missing some of the screws. I ordered a new set of screws, and now the disc has no trouble spinning, although it does make some noise unless I put some weight on top of the ps2. I think I remember someone mentioning that putting weight on top of the ps2 to make it quieter can damage it, so I was wondering if that was true or not. And if it is, what can I do to make it quieter?