1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Fliptop cover problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kadlet51, Jun 7, 2004.

1. kadlet51

kadlet51 Member

My roommate tried to install a flip-top cover onto his PS2, but ran into some problems. Somehow, he managed to break off both the reset and power on buttons on the front of the PS2...not a big deal, they still work if we use a pen to push them in. But, when he installed the cover, something broke in it. So, now the only way the PS2 will read a disc is if we have some weight right on top of it. Any idea why this is, and how I could fix it for him? Thanks.

Tim

2. jagger2k

jagger2k Member

i can just ask how in hell did he manage to break the buttons? dats virtally impossible??? his he a chimp?

3. psx245

psx245 Regular member

so does your fliptop work now?? or did your friend screw up your ps2 and still didn't get the fliptop to work?

4. kadlet51

kadlet51 Member

Ok...the fliptop works in a sense. It is now on the PS2. However, the two buttons (reset and open) are broken off, and..I have to have some weight on top for it to run, and if I dont put weight on it, it makes a grinding noise and wont read the disc. Also, it can sometimes take 10 to 15 tries to get the swap magic DVD disc to read and work properly, whereas it will read a normal PS2 disk on the first try. Now, from what I read, could that be a laser problem? But what about having to have weight on it? Why is that?

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

I had troubles with the Swap Magic DVD recently. From looking at them they look like they are not manufactured as well as most PS2 DVDs. I ordered another and it worked fine, but while it was in transit I used the Swap Magic CD since it always booted up first time, swapped and ran CD Loader and then used my original of Devil May Cry 2 as a TOC DVD since it has a very large TOC. That worked fine until the replacement came, though did require the extra swaps. I don't think it is the laser since yours reads your other DVDs ok.

As far as having to put a weight, either your cover isn't seating good enough, or maybe you put the white plastic part that goes inside the fliptop cover in upside down.

6. radiocnoc

radiocnoc Member

I have the same thing-- my SMD DVD does not boot all the time (in fact, it's about 1 in 10 tries).

I did discover that if I leave the top OPEN, it will boot the first time in. Then I swap with a backup and close the lid.

7. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

kadlet51 the reason your ps2 is struggling so much to read discs is because the white disc isn't completely connecting to the spinner (a common fliptop problem.) What you need to do is take the white disc out of the holster and manually place it on the spinner when you want to load a game or make swap. I garuntee it will fix your problem.

8. Cloner

Cloner Regular member

Dunno bout having the wieght on it. You mean on the disk drive top or the swap lid?, i dont use a flip lid, i jst left the cover off, but i dont need to hold the lid down, the white disc is a magnet and should hold it well in place.

9. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

The way the holster is positioned on some fliptops, so that it doesn't allow the white disc to be correctly aligned with the spinner or is to high up which makes the white disc only partially connect to the spinner. Applying pressure would move it closer to the spinner. I had the same problem and now I just manuallu place the white disc on the spinner. It works great.