1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Forums - Please L@@K

Discussion in 'PS2' started by JRoland, Feb 27, 2005.

1. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hello,

After being around these boards for a few months now, I have become painfully aware of some of the shortcomings. First, there's really no "reference" for "noobs" to search in order to find an answer to their question which, coincidentally, may happen to be one that was asked just three days prior and three days prior to that and even three days prior to that... Well, you get the idea. Alot of "junk" on the boards because of no real organization.

Also, in addition to this shortcoming, there's also the lack of "subcategories." That is, under PS2 Hardware, we can't have a section for PS2 HDD, PS2 Modchips, PS2 Memory Cards, PS2 Systems, and so on.

So, in lieu of these things and more, I am [bold]really[/bold] thinking about creating a forum site, like AfterDawn.com, but just for PlayStation2. Ideally, it would deal with everything and anything PS2 related. From learning how to turn your PS2 off to playing backups online, these forums would ideally be the place for most people to ask and find answers in regards to their PS2 experiences. Follow?

Also, and this is pretty important of a note, these forums would not necessarily take the place of AfterDawn - just try and work in conjunction with them. So, if someone ask why he or she can't "make a working backup of his or her SwapMagic disc?" that person may be referred to a thread on the other forums. Hopefully this will result in "cleaner" AfterDawn forums.

So, I am curious to see what most of you think about this idea. Also, in addition to "yay" or "nay", would anyone be interested in helping run the boards/site?

So far, after some brainstorming, [it only drizzedl], I got the following sections w/ subcategories:

GENERAL
    PS2 General
    Other Gaming
    Vendors
    Off-Topic

GAMES
    Action/Adventure
    Driving/ Racing
    Children’s
    Fighting
    Puzzle
    Role-Playing
    Shooter
    Simulation
    Sports

HARDWARE SUPPORT
    General System
    Modchips
    HDD
    Other Backup Hardware
    Other Hardware

SOFTWARE SUPPORT
    Ripping
    Burning
    Shrinking, etc

PS2 LOUNGE
    PS2 Online
    PS2 Mods, (i.e. cases)
    PS2 Setup

So, what do you all think? A waste of an idea or something to really look into?

Oh, and on a side note, I am in [bold]no way[/bold] saying that AfterDawn.com is not freakin' great! It's just with these forums catering to sooo many people, perhaps it would be better if we thought about forums which relate to us PS2 gamers specifically. That's all, nothing more.

[/novel over]

2. JRoland

JRoland Member

Oh, and in addition to the forums, I would also like to put in some tutorials.

Right now:
    Identifying PS2 Version
    Installing FlipTop
    Installing SlidTool
    Ripping with <ripping software>
    Burning with <burning software>
    "Repairing" Disc Read Errors

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  3. esco600

esco600 Regular member

YOU FOOL! You should know better than to tempt the Afterdawn gods. Believe me, I am just as big a PS2 fan as you, but intentionally creating a site that could rival Afterdawn? Why that's ludicrous. Now quickly, unsubscribe before they hear us. Just kidding, actually that's a great idea.

4. JRoland

JRoland Member

Oh no - I doubt it would rival AD. Rather, it would be in conjunction to.

In other words, I just saw like 3 posts in the past week asking for the same thing : Where to buy FlipTop Covers?

Hopefully this would be a limb to AD users. In othe words, these people asking in the above scenario could check out this other site before posting to AD. Follow?

5. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Newbies just dont search properly before they post.

But this site has all the information any one would
    need from a ps2 forum.

Good luck in your endeavours however,
    it would seem futile to attempt to make a forum,
    when you are alreay a member of the best most complete
    forum already.

6. JRoland

JRoland Member

I hear you Jizmak! That's why I don't want to take anything away from AD. I personally love these boards. It's just so easy to get fed up when you see someone post a legit question/concern and then their post gets pushed 5 pages back - lost in the abyss - because other people are too lazy to search.

Thanks for the kind words though!

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Getting ideas for your site is all well and good but keep in mind that constantly plugging your site in the forums or in your sig will get you in hot water. AD creates revenue from a growing membership, site hits and click throughs on our ads so trying to pull members away from AD is both disrespectful and in poor tatse ;)

8. JRoland

JRoland Member

Oh don't worry about plugging - I get annoyed when people do that all the time!

After really thinking about it, I still like the idea. However, it may just be best to go with Games, i.e. Sports, Racing, GTA:SA. Also, I think Tutorials are a must! Most people always ask "How do I....?"

Hopefully, if they use that as a reference but then refer to AD for stuff that deviates from the normal stuff, then I think that would be pretty cool!