1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 game rebuild to reduce toc

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by hursty, Jun 5, 2005.

1. hursty

hursty Active member

follow this guide when extracting images and rebuilding them

certain games have large TOC'S which must be rebuilt to remove/replace dummy files
    however,when doing this,there are occasions when the "2gb" per file cannot be handled by[bold] nero[/bold],and there are [bold]dummy bins[/bold] that need replacing

we can do this

[bold]app required[/bold]

isobuster http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

cd/dvd gen http://home.versatel.nl/joeriroels/Download/download.html

[bold]IF YOU HAVE ANYONE PROBLEMS WITH THIS APP[/bold]

check your system32 folder for the autoexec.nt file,it may be missing

go to[bold] my comp>windows>repair folder[/bold]....look for autoexec.nt

copy and paste it into system32 folder,also located in [bold]my comp>windows>system32[/bold]

also make sure you have working [bold]ASPI layers[/bold] installed

and lastly,CD/DVD Gen. is supposed to have 2 error messages pop up after you hit the record button. If you only have one pop up then you are missing a .dll file that you need to install into you system32 folder and system folder in Windows. You can find this file at : http://www.neromediahome.com/us/WNASPI32.DLL.html

gnies iml2iso
    dummy file maker

you can get these from www.alucard.cc or ps2nfo.com and if they are not there,get then from the net somewhere

[bold]for this i will use SONIC HEROES as an example[/bold]

step 1

extract the image into a new folder,remembering what order they appeared in,a good tip here is to open the empty folder,and before you start dragging them in,is to squash the folder,so its narrow,this way they will form a list type order.

you will notice there is a [bold]dummy bin[/bold],it should be 1.53 GB in size.dont put this in the new folder

step 2

we need to replace the bin image with a smaller bin file..

you can try using a text doc if you like,make a new one and press the space bar once,then re-name it as it appears exactly

OR,my preference

open up [bold]dummy file.exe[/bold] and pick location(put the dummy bin in a separate folder,so you dont get mixed up),
    where there is a number,i.e "1",thats the size of the dummy bin,in mb's,so leave it as "1"
    click build
    [bold]YOU MUST RENAME THIS NEW DUMMY BIN,AS IT APPEARS IN THE ORIGINAL GAME[/bold]
    in this case for sonic heroes...[bold]_DUMMY_.BIN[/bold]

you should now have [bold]1 folder full of the game files[/bold]less the dummy bin,and another folder containing the [bold]dummy bin image[/bold] you made.

step 3

open cd/dvd gen

click[bold] create new project[/bold]
    then[bold]DVD-ROM master disc[/bold]

then click [bold]volume[/bold]
    where it says [bold]disc name[/bold],you need to enter the disc id from the list of files you have stored away,
    for sonic heroes,the copy i have is [bold]SLUS_207.18[/bold]
    so enter that there,
    where it says [bold]producer name[/bold].enter what you like.i.e hursty,and the [bold]license area[/bold] europe,it doesnt matter

then click [bold]DIRECTORY[/bold]
    then open the folder which contains the game files/images etc,(get the cd/dvd gen and the folder open on the same screen,its easier)

now drag the folders,files,images over into cd/dvd gen one by one,remembering the order that they appeared in iso buster[bold] very important[/bold]

[bold]dont forget the DUMMY BIN[/bold],you need to slot this in,exactly where it was,(in isobuster),in this case it was second from bottom

step 4

click [bold]REC[/bold]

a new window should appear,...enter a file name,(i.e hursty),then click [bold]save[/bold]
    you may get some error messages pop up,but dont worry,click through them
    then you should get another window pop up,with some more options

click on [bold]FILE...>..EXPORT IMAGE..[/bold]
    the window from before should pop up,this is where the [bold]IML FILE[/bold] is going to go
    so just click save again
    then the [bold] IMAGE CREATING [/bold] symbol should start to flash,and we are good to go,leave it alone to do its job

this is creating an iml file which we now have to convert to iso format,

step 5

you should now have a folder which contains a few files,which may look like this,001,002

[bold]gnies iml2iso[/bold] is next

open the app,and on the right hand side,there is a little box,with 3 dots in it,click this,and source the folder which contains the [bold]iml[/bold] files,i.e hursty.iml,select it,then.....

click start

hopefully the progress bar will start to move,and we are on the last hurdle.

the iso will be located in the folder,where the iml files are

step 6

burn it with your favorite burning app

the new TOC for this game is approx 3 gb's.(sonic heroes)

this should now boot without having to do a TOC refresh :)

[bold]if this guide has been posted before,or you have another way of doing this,pls do not critisize[/bold],as i have not seen it,and have spent time writing this out

regards to those who made the app' needed for this

[bold]regards hursty[/bold]

[bold]FANTASTIC FOUR[/bold]

[bold]OPEM IMAGE IN ISOBUSTER,AND DRAG THE FILES/FOLDERS INTO A NEW FOLDER[/bold]

[bold]OPEN CD/DVD GENERATOR[/bold],and click as instructed below

[bold]THEN CLICK VOLUME,AND ENTER INFORMATION AS INSTRUCTED[/bold]

[bold]THEN DRAG ALL THE FOLDERS INTO CD/DVD GEN AS INSTRUCTED BELOW[/bold]

[bold]THEN CLICK RECORD[/bold]

[bold]YOU WILL GET 2 ERRORS,JUST CLICK PAST THEM[/bold]

[/bold]THEN THIS WINDOW WILL APPEAR,FOLLOW AS INSTRUCTED[/bold]

[bold]CHOOSE A FOLDER WHERE TO SAVE THE IML FILES[/bold]

[bold]THEN OPEN GNIE'S IML2DVD[/bold]

[bold]CLICK THE SMALL BOX ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE(the one with the 3 dots in it[/bold]

[bold]THE ISO WILL BE CREATED,AND IT WILL TAKE A FEW MINUTES,
    THE ISO WILL BE STORED IN THE SAME FOLDER WHERE THE IML FILES ARE STORED[/bold]

[/bold]THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BURN THE NEWLY DOWNSIZED ISO ONTO A DVD DISK[/bold]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  2. cogswappy

cogswappy Member

So if there are no dummy-files in the game, there's no way to rebuild the game at all ? I use cogswap exploit and have to boot my backups with
    an original ps2 game ( with high TOC), but the biggest game i have is 3.43 GB. Does anyone know if there's any trick to boot bigger games who have a larger TOC than my original, or do i really need to buy a bigger game ?

3. hursty

hursty Active member

not all games have garbage/dummy files on show
    u can try opening the image and drag the folders into another new folder,and see if this reduces the TOC.
    for example the game "vampire darkstalkers collection",states it is over 4 gb,with no suspect files on show,
    but when dragged into a new folder,the new TOC is below 1 gb
    just trial and error

4. fdc1970

fdc1970 Member

Greetings, for 3 days i have been trying to backup my Sonic Heroes PS2 game...I think I have eveything all set (replaced dummy file and have game in folder following every step I have read in posts including the ISO Buster and creating new folder) except the part of getting Nero to burn. I have the Nero 6.6.0.14 but cant seem to get it to work. The post says

"Step 4.
    Open up Nero burning rom and create a new UDF/ISO dvd (It's the last one in the list)."
    well I open nero and cant find anything saying UDF/ISO DVD and can't find the list. can someone write a step-by-step on how to open nero and guide me to this? maybe I don't have a complete Nero? my nero works but it has nothing that actually says "nero burning rom" just start smart and a few other stuff like nero back it up nero express ect...and i clicked on everything and nothing takes the rofts.cvm file and something else from my folder.

Also tried cd/dvd generator 1.5 keeps saying aspi ERRORS AND I CANT USE THAT EITHER. i HAVE READ MANY POSTS for days in my free time and am pulling out my hair!

I use latest version of Decrypter and successfully backed up simpsons hit and run and it plays no problem with MS 3.6 and fliptop.

If anyone can guide me I would be very gratefull for the help

5. fdc1970

fdc1970 Member

"step 4

click REC

a new window should appear,...enter a file name,(i.e hursty),then click save
    you may get some error messages pop up,but dont worry,click through them
    then you should get another window pop up,with some more options "

All I get using cd/dvd gen is ASPI loading failed message....I am going nuts trying to backup Sonic Heroes

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  6. hursty

hursty Active member

you cannot use nero to create an image with sonic heroes,it wont accept files over "2gb",you definetly need to use cd/dvd gen

7. hursty

hursty Active member

get this and see if it helps,as you may not have any working aspi layers installed,
    you can check on nero info tool for this,see if they are on and working

http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/aspi.cfm

Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  8. fdc1970

fdc1970 Member

Hursty, thanks I got the aspi problem fixed and everything in step 4 is perfect and i have the few files,which look like this,001,002 so far so good but...

Now I am stuck again, I don't understand step 5...I don't know which app to open and I cant find any box with dots and not sure what "source the folder" means (I cant find anything in cdvdgen that looks like the description of step 5)

If I do get step 5 done which program should i try to burn the disc? Decrypter? Nero? thanks

"step 5

you should now have a folder which contains a few files,which may look like this,001,002 ***(I do have this done)***

gnies iml2iso is next ***(don't know what this means)***

open the app,and on the right hand side,there is a little box,with 3 dots in it,click this,and source the folder which contains the iml files,i.e hursty.iml,select it,then.....

click start

hopefully the progress bar will start to move,and we are on the last hurdle.

the iso will be located in the folder,where the iml files are"

9. hursty

hursty Active member

gnies iml2iso is a small app you need to download,as i stated at the top of the guide,
    when i refer to "source the folder",it means when you open up the app',you have to load in the files,....basically,find the the files.
    source just means the same as "browse for"

10. hursty

hursty Active member

this is the app',first cd/dvd gen
    then bottom is gnies iml2iso

[​IMG]

gnies iml2iso

[​IMG]

11. fdc1970

fdc1970 Member

I downloaded the iml2iso and can't get it to open...it just flashes for a fraction of a second. I read the text document with it...open it in a directory with the ims iml files but not sure what exactly that means or how to do it. I put everything in 1 folder and tried many other things but i can't figure out how to open iml2iso to see the screen you have in post. I am doing something wrong

12. hursty

hursty Active member

you should have it on the desktop like this

[​IMG]

13. fdc1970

fdc1970 Member

thanks hursty, i tried to download and open iml2iso like 10 times and it wont open...I gave up.

But I did it another way found in a post without iml2iso and the game works perfect! :)

4) MERGE THE .000 AND .001 FILES INTO A SINGLE ISO IMAGE.
    THE EASIEST WAY TO MERGE THE FILES IS FROM A COMMAND SCREEN.
    YOU WON'T HAVE TO INSTALL AN EXTRA PROGRAM THAT MAY NEED
    EXTRA FILES TO WORK AND COME ON, ADMIT IT, DOS IS SO MUCH FUN!!
    a)CLICK THE WINDOWS START BUTTON AND CLICK ON RUN.
    b)TYPE CMD IN THE BOX AND HIT ENTER.
    c)CHANGE THE DIRECTORY TO MATCH WHERE YOUR STAR.000 AND STAR.001
    FILES ARE STORED.
    EXAMPLE- IF THEY ARE ON THE C DRIVE, TYPE CD C:\ AND HIT ENTER.
    IF THEY ARE ON ANOTHER DRIVE, TYPE THE DRIVE LETTER WITH A COLON AND HIT ENTER.
    d)ONCE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DIRECTORY-
    TYPE COPY/B STAR.000 + STAR.001 STAR.ISO AND THEN HIT ENTER.
    e)WHEN IT'S FINISHED YOU WILL HAVE A NEW ISO IMAGE NAMED STAR.ISO THAT YOU CAN NOW BURN IN STEP 5.

5) BURN THE NEW ISO IMAGE ONTO A BLANK DVD.
    USE YOUR FAVORITE DVD BURNING UTILITY TO BURN IT AT THE
    SLOWEST SPEED.

14. hursty

hursty Active member

yes you do it that way,i forgot!!,i have posted that guide before a long time ago...hehehe

nice to see you got it working

enjoy

for the iml2iso app' to work,you need to drag and drop the app on the desktop from where it is stored in your download folder

regards hursty

15. Excel2005

Excel2005 Member

I would recommend IML2DVD at http://www.backuptools.co.uk, as it creates the full ISO directly without having to generate it using CD/DVD Generator.

16. hursty

hursty Active member

that link is unknown :(
    what does it do exactly.??
    iml > dvd.???
    what makes the iml files in the first place?,i cant check the link...:(

17. buddyluv

buddyluv Guest

When I try to install the cdvdgen I get this error. Could you help me?

Error:
    C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

18. Mighty6

Mighty6 Member

sorry for my double post i wanted to have a quick response lol sry ;p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  19. hursty

hursty Active member

no multi-posting my man!!,and this is a guide for games which contain single files over 2 gb's,
    and dead to rights 2,doesnt
    so the other guide should work perfectly

20. Thel)emon

Thel)emon Member

I try rebuilding the sonic game but I don't no how to create a new dummy file can anyone help me?