1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 games : .mdf/.mds image conversion with a Mac computer

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kimononon, Oct 27, 2007.

1. kimononon

kimononon Member

About the .mdf/.mds native Alcohol 120% files, I read on different forums that the only way to burn the files, is by simply changing the extension .mdf to .iso. But I tried both renaming the .mdf file to .iso and using the mdf2iso application, none of them works. Actually I have tried so many methods and applications that I have used over 20 cd and I'm still stock with these Ps2 games that only PC users seem to be able to burn.

To do this with Toast I use the "Copy" tab (with the "Image file option" checked). Actually Toast does recognize the old .mdf file renamed to .iso, but it just wont treat it as a normal iso file. In the "Copy Summary" space that appears right in the middle of the screen, it says " 60.7MB ISO 9660 CD-ROM XA" and everytime I see this, I know it's not gonna work. On the other side, everytime I burn a real .iso file, wich is usually for much bigger games, it works just fine. The Copy Summary says for exemple: "1.77 GB UDF BRIDGE DVD".

So I thought maybe all I had to do is to change the copy options... but why the hell is it in grey?! The place where I should click is right there in front of me under the copy summary, but there's no way I can click it to see the different options!

Can anybody answer any of these question? Or has anyone been through the same process and finally found a way to make it work?

Thanks for your patience everyone! I know my situation is very specific and kinda gives a headache just to imagine it!!

Kim

2. kimononon

kimononon Member

After over 2 weeks of trying and failing with every option there is, I found a way to burn a .mds file (and I really mean .mds cuz in that case you wont need the .mdf). Every damn convertion fails and even if you think you have a valid iso by converting a .mdf file, trust me, your Ps2 wont read the Cd!.
    I never thought it would come to this, but the only way for a Mac user to burn these Ps2 games, is to install these two apps :

- Virtual Pc (version 7 works just fine and is pretty easy to "find")
    - Alcohol 120% (I tried version 1.9.6.4719, and it works)
    - and of course something like Swap Magic or a chip with your Ps2 console, otherwise, goodluck!

I wont tell you where and how to find and use these 2 applications, but know that I did find everything I needed on the Internet and its the only way that it really works!

In the end, it doesn't use too much space on my computer! And after only one day, I can tell you that the installation "nightmare" is already far away. I even find the whole thing pretty easy to use!

Kim :)