1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Hard Drive... Linux.. MODS?????? DOES ANYONE KNOW?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by seamonkey, Jan 21, 2003.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

hello everyone, Me again.
    I haven't gotten any posts about the ps2 dvd drive, but i emailed sony about it since the warranty on the ps2 is up to see if they might divulge some info on the dvd drive.

Moving on...

I've gotten into xbox modding and love the fact that the xbox does have hard drive and the mod chips are able to use it and even replace it, like i did!

Well. I know that the PS2 now has a Linux kit you can buy which consists of a keyboard, mouse, and a harddrive and 2 Linux dvds. Are there any mod chips in development for teh PS2 that will allow this same type of thing (harddrive replacement or installation)? will a mod chip for the PS2 let us add our own PC Harddrive in the PS2 and let us save and play our games from the harddrive itself?

I assume there has to be some kind of project in the works, this could be so huge!!!

If anyone has any info, please post!! i need a new project and i guess PS2 modding is my calling. Once i get PS2 modding, i'll add a new section to my website with detailed guides on how to do it!!
    aiy, peace
    seamonkey420

2. MrFixit

MrFixit Member

I've never heard of any mod chips that will do that, but it sounds pretty cool.

In Japan, Sony already released the PS2 hard drive and they will be releasing it in the US as soon as a game is made that will require it. (most likely the next Final Fantasy game)

Once the hard drive is released, Sony has discussed plans to use it (with the network adaptor) to download videos and songs and even record live television. (like TiVo)

3. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

an update on the PS2 DVD Drive: this what a sony rep told me when i inquired about purchasing an OEM PS2 dvd drive.

"We regret to inform you that we do not sell internal parts for the PlayStation(R)2 computer
    entertainment system as they are proprietary to our authorized repair facilities. Please accept our
    apologies for any inconvenience, but if you would like information on how to get your system
    repaired, please call the Consumer Services department listed below:

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) does not recommend anyone other than an authorized Sony
    Service Center (SSC) Technician opening the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system. Doing so
    will immediately void the SCEA Warranty, and your PlayStation 2 system may not be repaired*. We
    apologize for any inconvenience.

*Note: If any of the original components or parts are removed, altered, modified, or have been
    tampered with, our SSC Technician will deem the unit not repairable, and return your system back to
    you."

-DUH! my warranty expired, so don't care about that.. d@mn corporations and profits... why can't they just let us replace our own and save a brotha $100 or more..
    oh well..

Hey, does anyone have a WORKING dvd drive/laser eye for a PS2 Version 4 and want to sell it?
    if so, PM me! so until i find a new dvd drive or try to correct the laser alignment on mine, i'm SOL. but its all good, i'll get my money back from sony w/my mod chip and backups.. hahah...

peace
    seamonkey420

4. smily95

smily95 Member

just do a search for ps2 parts i boght a new lens for my 1st gen cons. and a whole new drive for my 4th gen.
    ther easy to install to.
    steve a.

5. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

They sell parts and drives on eBay but you have to keep checking. I bought an xbox Samsung drive on there and it should be here tomorrow. You can also find out who is a parts distributor for Sony and ask them for the drive like http://mcm.newark.com or some other parts distributor. The repair centers have to get the parts from somewhere.

6. drew888

drew888 Member

you can use any harddrive you want but it has to line up with the ports