1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 HARDDRIVE = NO BACKUPS?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by andyn1080, Mar 21, 2004.

1. andyn1080

andyn1080 Member

Some people told me that with the ps2 harddrive you cant play backups or if you do sony will know and sue b/c when you get online w/the hd a list is sent to sony and they will know. is this true?

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

that will be illegal for sony to do so... it's your hdd no one has a right to see whats on it... nor send a list of files thats on the hdd... so forget it dude... hdd or not you be still playing backups...

3. WEStar

WEStar Active member

rumour is that when the ps2 boots up with the hdd it detects the modchip and disables the mod... rumour also is that the DMS3 can get around this with the quick boot.

4. MIGHTYMAX

MIGHTYMAX Guest

Bu7t microsoft DOES SCAN YOUR HARDDRIVE AND SYSTEM FOR MODS VIA X-BOX LIVE , and if youre caught with mods, your system is banned. So its not hard to believe sony would do the same thing.

5. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

but banning someone from using their internet services and sueing them are different things entirely

6. GlennT

GlennT Regular member

but banning someone from using their internet services and sueing them are different things entirely

7. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

but if u dont have ps2 online then the hard drive will be fine. and anyway if your playing the games online u have to disable the modchip, so besides it wouldnt recognize it.

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

read the article on http://www.ps2ownz.com the harddrive has dnas on it so you have to take special steps when installing it if you have a modchip.

9. andyn1080

andyn1080 Member

so if you have a modchip the hd could suck...i dont have a modchip i use the slide card so i guess im ok then as long as im not stupid and try to go online w/backups right? (you cant play backups online anyway).

10. andyn1080

andyn1080 Member

so if you have a modchip the hd could suck...i dont have a modchip i use the slide card so i guess im ok then as long as im not stupid and try to go online w/backups right? (you cant play backups online anyway).

11. razarg

razarg Member

I just got my Sony Hard Drive today, and I have a V9 PS2 with a dms3 v9 in it. It has always played my backups perfectly until I put the Sony Hard drive in it. Fast boot works, but it is the only way to play backups. When it reaches the browser running in normal mode (not stealth) it won't read backups or non-backups...

I followed the directions here:
    http://www.ps2ownz.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16602

Followed the instructions to the T, but still no go. Anyone else having problems, or is it something I am forgetting?

Steps I took:

Hooked HDD up with PS2 off.
    Turned PS2 on (Sleep Mode)
    After seeing the explorer up and running recognizing the HDD, I used the utility disc, and formatted the HDD...(I didn't want FFXI on it...)

Then I turned the PS2 off and put in a backup. (Using normal boot...) It just stays saying "reading disc" at browser. (I tried several...)

Then I turned it off again and tried quick boot...
    Still no go. It just goes to the browser and shows the PS2 disc icon. I click on it, and it just keeps resetting right back to the browser.

(I have reformatted it twice, following the instructions given to me directly by the guy that wrote the article at PS2Ownz.)

What should I do? DMS3 was supposed to work with the Official Sony HDD without using fast boot...

12. midgarguy

midgarguy Member

Well, I don't believe half this crap.

It's a hard drive ok. It isn't a piece of software it is a piece of hardware. Either someone is making this up or Sony has done something with the new DVD or system drivers when installing the HDD. If you are having problems you could check all your drivers and see what has been updated! Since all updates must be stored on the HD or on a memory card you should be able to bypass it by reformatting or removing your memcard when booting a game.

If Sony has flashed the PS2 BIOS when installing the HD then I'm not too sure what to do other than wait for some new Modchip updates or new Modchps all together.

This should not affest Swap users in any way since the PS2 will see that its own true BIOS is fine.

-edit-
    Holy crap!!! the HD comes with version 3.02 DVD drivers?

So much for the Xbox having the best DVD player quality!!!
    -end edit-

13. ICBINR123

ICBINR123 Member

Has anyone with a magic or messiah mod chip tried to use the hard drive?

Can any of this be confirmed?

14. reignbona

reignbona Member

hey im havin the same problem i have been usin swap magic dvd 2.0 for 4 months and i get the hard drive 2 weeks ago and non of my back ups work. Before i installed the hardrive they worked perfectly. now the ps2 doesnt read the game using the magic cds. ive gotten it to work usin ratchet and clank 2 which uses the cd ves 3.0 and a cd loader but other than that i cannot get any other of my games to work anymore can ne1 help. i know 4 a fact its the harddrive. i even took out my harddrive and tried it still now use it wont work,. my cuz has a modchip and his ps2 wasnt reading the backups either and it use to work be4. so i told him to take out his hdd and he did and the game worked perfectly. but doesnt work for swap magic . NEED HELP

15. modsRus

modsRus Member

I got a HDD just to check if there is any truth in all this and so far I have found it to be false. I used it my magic 3.1, matrix infinity and messiah 2 pro and they all work. Loading time increases though, but they work.

16. zerogod

zerogod Member

it's not false.. i got magic V in my v9 and the hd prevents the backup games from being loaded... i take out the hdd and the backups load perfect. put it back in they don't load.. .i'm looking for a way aroundthis. i dont' want to have to take out the hdd everytime i want to play a backup...

17. neosquall

neosquall Guest

So wait...Im about to get the swap magic disks...Will they boot up with the HDD installed? Cuz i know my gameshark v1.9 wont boot because of the HDD...