1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 harddrive

Discussion in 'PS2' started by account, Mar 11, 2004.

1. account

account Guest

i have heard a few things about but i have no idea when you can buy one i know theres one with ffxi but when can you get a cheap one or does it have to be a sony one and would it work as a memory card or do have to have a memory card then transfer data from the card to the harddrive and since the harddrive would go into the back would you still beable to play online while having the hardrive in or do you have to swap it everytime? does anyone know how big they are going to be and also how much?

check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

im pretty sure that unless you have a modchip, you have to have the sony harddrive (which is a rip off).

3. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

The HDs are supposed to be 40gigs. I don't know how much they are, in fact i've never even seen one for sale yet. It anoys me that online play requires this. Take FFxi You have to buy the game, buy the HD and keep paying to use it every month, major ripoff.

4. account

account Guest

WHAT!?!? you have to pay monthly? to play online! qhat kind of shit is that? that just sucks

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The Sony PS2 Hard Drive is 40Gig and will carry a MSRP of $99.99 US and be bundled with Final Fantasy XI pre-installed. Online play will run about $10-$12/mo. with the first month included free. Product will ship on 3/23/2004 according to www.ebgames.com.

6. martynste

martynste Regular member

Can i plug my ps2 into my pc, to use the hard of my pc to save game. My three memory cards are all full.

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Use can use products such as the SharkPort or the Xport to link your PS2 to the PC and download save data from your memory cards to the PC to fee up space. Note that especially with the SharkPort that the PS2 software will not load on newer PS2's due to changes made to the BIOS by Sony. Also, game saves that are copy protected will not be downloadable to your PC.

8. martynste

martynste Regular member

Thanks Icemonkey?

How much does it cost and where can i get it from?
    The bios should be ok i've got a v4. Is the connection usb to usb? Can the same connection be used for loading ar codes to the ps2?

9. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

I don't think the HD is going to make the PS2 work like the XboX, i.e. saving games on the HD with no mem-card. It's to install games and reduce loading time online, at least from what the guy at my local EBgames thinks. And another thing. How can your save game be copyrighted, it's not like your copying the games? It makes sence to use your computer's HD as a storage device if your memory cards are full.

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

martynste: Older SharkPorts would only work on a v1-3 PS2 when I attemped to purchase one 2 years ago. I paid $29.99 at Gamestop and InterAct wanted an additional $15 to upgrade it to a v4 compatible disc so I just took the thing back and gave up on it. Xport is the latest version and hopefully is much more compabible. Also, it uses a USB to USB cable which is included.

Bitcount: Many game publisher in order to deter cheating by making a copy of your game save for someone else to play off of have implemented a feature Sony included in the memory card management system by allowing game publishers to specify that memory card save data be copy protected. Off hand, I'm not sure which titles actually use this feature but I'm sure somebody here has encountered a problem where they could not copy their save data for a game to another memory card. Again, SharkPort and Xport cannot work around this problem and you will not be able to backup this memory card data to your PC hard drive.

Also, you will be able to save your game data to the Sony HDD but only if the game supports the HDD as a game save device. So far Ace Combat 4 (j) is the only game I've heard of yet that will do this and I have not confirmed that.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]PS2 - v8
    Mod - Magic V
    Burner - CenDyne (Pioneer) DVR-A05
    Media - Anything Cheap

Gamecube w/Broadband Adapter
    Phantasy Star Online
    Animal Crossing Loader v1.4
    Phantasy Star Uploader v1.1
    Gamecube ISO Ripping Server v1.0.0.29
    [/small]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  11. Jake2003

Jake2003 Regular member

Alright so let me get this straight, the only real purpose of buying the 40 gb hard drive is to save online games, like final fantasy xi which you will have to pay for on a monthly basis. Why not just buy the pc version of the game and save, what like $100 for the hd and $120 for subscription?

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

In Japan atleast and likely here once the HDD comes out, there are many non-online games that support the hard drive. The main benefit to having a HDD for those games is they can be installed to the HDD to enhance load times. Some of these games copy the entire disc contents to the HDD and while playing, the game can load from the HDD and the game disc simultaneously reducing load times to less that 1/2 normal.

13. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

the only reason people before couldnt put any hdd in the ps2 is because there was no software to get into it....and as i have heard its just a normal hdd. so once the hard drive comes out and some is able to get the software and make it downloadable then you can just buy any hard drive you want and put it in ur ps2??

14. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Goto http://www.ps2ownz.com and they have threads in their forums regarding installing your own hard drive into a PS2 including links to home-brew disk management software as well as patches for the HDD enabled games to fix them to stop checking if the HDD is a Sony issued drive.

15. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

i still dotn see what the point of the hdd is?....u can just rent a game and put it on the hdd....smae as a modchip just u have to burn the game...i dont see why sony would do this?

16. account

account Guest

the point is so you dont have to buy multiple memory cards if you can transfer data to the hdd and if you have a game that loads slowly you decrease the time it takes by saving the game on the hdd. and what your talking about is ilegal

check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com

17. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

i see what your saying, but i am saying that is just what people will use it for?

18. Jake2003

Jake2003 Regular member

So other than memory and load time it won't affect the graphics or sound at all right? Because I was previously under the impression that it might. Ah well.

19. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The Sony HDD offers no enhancements to existing games.

20. xromad

xromad Member

i havent tried egrobrowser yet and as far as i know its the only browser so far for the hdd.i may be mistaken but its the only one i have actually seen.
    you could in theory use a normal hdd but it would require extracting ps2 bios.i know the basic steps but its not worth it since once the hdd comes to the US countless better coders than myself will get to work on it.i'm not a big fan of linux anyways which is why i havent spent much time on the japan hdds i keep in stock.