1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Hardrives Questions

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by fenders, May 29, 2007.

1. fenders

fenders Member

Ok, so I was searching around online and discovered that you can attach a hardrive to a ps2. I know I am a total noob so excuse me if I ask stupid questions. I have searched the site and come up empty handed. I found a post about a slimline ps2 usb hardrive, but I don't have a slim. I have a V4 Ps2 if that helps.

So my questions are, can i buy a USB external hardrive for my ps2? and play the iso files straight from that? If not, where could i buy an internal hardrive for it? and instructions to install/use?

thx a million guys!

2. steimy

steimy Active member

With a fat model you do not want an external USB hard drive. That is just the only option that a slimline (other than V12 & V13) have. It is slower and has less game compatibility. What you want is a compatible IDE internal hard drive, see list:
    http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list
    find one at an online store, get the manufacturers number, then check the list before you buy it. Seagate and Maxtor would be the easiest. The above link also has an install guide at the very top, i think called install tips. It is simple and all you need is your PS2 network adapter.

Then after that you need to get one of two things.
    1. HD Advacnce 3.0 which is a disc to run your hard drive
    2. Learn about and use an HD Loader memory card exploit (free) which will do the same as the above.
    http://www.exploitstation.com/

3. fenders

fenders Member

ok so,I cant find a good online store for hardrives. Sorry, I searched google, i got a few places, but not a whole lot of choices for a V4. maybe I just don't know what to search for. :( Once again - Me = Noob, Any help?

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  4. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Just go to Fry's electronics and buy a 160GB Maxtor HDD, then connect it to the PS2, then patch a clean HDLoader file to support bigger HDDs, then boot it up somehow and your set.

5. fenders

fenders Member

Are you talking about an external hardrive? I thought that those would not work with the fat ps2s?

6. steimy

steimy Active member

Best Buy has an online store
    Circuit City has an online store
    Fry's has an online store
    Egghead.com is an online store
    Tigerdirect.com is an online store
    all of which will have a good choice of internal IDE hard drives. Just do not get an SATA hard drive.

7. fenders

fenders Member

thx for all your help guys!

8. 5h4d0wXXX

5h4d0wXXX Member

fenders the external hd's work with all ps2's

9. fenders

fenders Member

steimy
    29. May 2007 @ 09:15
    "With a fat model you do not want an external USB hard drive. That is just the only option that a slimline (other than V12 & V13) have."

So this message is wrong? i can use an external hd for my ps2? That would be good news for me because it is just so much easier to hook up.

Would I need to get any specific software so that i can put stuff on the hd with my pc then use it to boot games for my ps2?

10. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

No. You can connect a USB Harddrive to any PS2 and play games with it. But, other HDDs (the ones that attach to the back of the fat PS2s) are better, because they have better compatibillity and faster loading time.

11. fenders

fenders Member

ok, so, I'm not getting a USB hd, I'll probly get one that fits in the back, cause I forgot I had one laying around lol.