1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Hardware Problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rowdan, Dec 15, 2004.

1. rowdan

rowdan Member

I had my ps2 at a friend’s house the other day and there kid caused an accident causing my ps2 to crash to the ground, after that I could not access the HDD in the HD Loader..... Side note I did have the whole thing working before hand, MC exploit, HD Loader......

First I though the HDD must have gone..... Hooking it up to a PC proved the HDD to be fine.
    Next maybe the MC data got corrupt, reloaded the MC HD Loader, no better
    Next perhaps the "NIC/Modem/HDD Controller" is bad so I bought a new one, no go
    Now the only thing I can think of is that the connection between the HDD Controller and PS2 is no good, but since the controller is not the problem it must be in the PS2......
    Does any one know of some thing like this happening before.....?

ALSO the PS2 it self seems to work fine, I can still load original disks, as well as using the swap magic to load DVD-r disks.... only encounter a problem when loading the HD loader.... plus the HD Loader does actually load but it come up with "can not find HDD" error

At very least can some one direct me to a different forum that might specializing in PS2 Hardware?

2. kracer63

kracer63 Guest

Can you hear the drive start up or power on when you turn your console on?

3. rowdan

rowdan Member

From what I can tell when the HDD is in the PS2 it sounds like it is not powering on, but again when i put it to the PC it powers up and works fine

4. kracer63

kracer63 Guest

I'm thinkin' it might be the connection between the network adapter and the console where the adapter plugs into the unit. If that is damaged you would not get power to the adapter and thus not getting power to the hard drive. Try playing an online game to make sure your adapter is working properly and getting power to it. Hope this helps some. I am interested in finding out what the problem could be. good luck.

5. rowdan

rowdan Member

Well I have tried several different ways to try and test the connectivity from PS2 to the controller...

ps2link - witch normally would allow at very least the light on my hub to light up saying the link from the PS2 to the hub is up but now does not light up, I thing this to indicate the network portion of the controller not working.

Also when I bought the new controller I tried to load the configuration CD that it came with that normally would help configure the modem/ NIC portion of the controller, but when I try to boot the PS2 with the controller plugged in it hangs at loading, "I think when it is attempting to load the controller" the screen is the one where it says loading and the four buttons scroll across the screen, now when I remove the controller and load the configuration disk, it boots very fast but says "can not locate controller" (of course)

6. kracer63

kracer63 Guest

I would think that the problem may be the actual plug then that is on the console. I would take a flash light and check it out real good. If you see no damage I would say you will have to dig deeper into the console. You will probably need to start taking it apart. You have to be very careful with the reset/eject ribbon cable when taking the case top off. If you look around online you might find a guide to help you dismantle your console. I am not sure if the network adapter connection has an inline fuse but it could have and it could be bad. I think the fuses are soildered to the motherboard. I would do a very careful check of all your parts to make sure nothing is busted first before replacing anything electrical. Hope this has helped in some way.

Tim

7. kracer63

kracer63 Guest

Go here if you would like to purchase a guide that may help you out. It is the guide I bought and I used it and some other info found on the net to help me fix a 55.00 ps2 that I bought on ebay. The ps2 I bought now works perfectly after about three hours of a very good cleaning. The guide helped me to take the ps2 apart properly though.

http://www.ultimateconsoleguides.com/playstation_2.htm

Hope this helps.

8. rowdan

rowdan Member

Ok I finally had time to work on this last night..... I took my ps2 apart farther then I have ever had it apart to be able to look at the main board components, from what I could tell visually it seemed to be ok.... since I have already bought a new network controller, I dissected my old one so I could hook up an external power source to test to see if the PS2 would use the HDD that way..... powered on and HDLoader actually sees the HDD now however when ever I try to boot a game it freezes and I tried to delete one game it actually deleted it but froze before refreshing the list, when I reboot the PS2 the game was actually gone though.... I have treed three different games to make sure it was not just the image I was trying.....
    So my conclusion..... The power from the PS2 is not getting to the controller, AND the PS2 is trying to control the power to the HDD (maybe for throttle control) and this is why during access it freezes.

Any one knows if that would be true, or a fix? Or maybe a mod to use my external USB2 case to run the HDD?

9. rowdan

rowdan Member

Just a friendly BUMP.....

Thought a bump would be beter then starting a new thread with the same question......