1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 HDD Loading Questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by busean, Mar 24, 2007.

1. busean

busean Member

I currently use swapmagic to play all of my backup ps2 games... it works just fine, but I am kinda getting annoyed with the loading times and having to swap cds in and out every time I want to play a game. I was thinking about trying to use the HDD method to play my games instead since I can store my whole collection on a drive. My questions about this are:

1. When playing Xbox games off of a HDD drive, the load times are 3x faster since its reading right off of the drive... so are the loading times any quicker for games when loading off of a drive compared to a burnt DVD?

2. Since your storing info on a HDD, can you store your save files onto the drive instead of using a memory card, like you would an xbox?

3. Can you also store ps1 games to play off of the drive?

Also, if there are any other positives to using the HDD method compared to the standard swapmagic method, could you fill me in to? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. blueshade

blueshade Member

1: Yes.
    2: No.
    3: Unsure.

Other: Compatibility isn't 100%, but most games can/will be made to work using different modes, patching, etc. This forum helps alot, poke your head around and look for more info!

3. ndtoall

ndtoall Member

Actually, XBOX games run the same speed, with the same loading times whether they are burnt or played from the HDD.

Nd

4. blueshade

blueshade Member

Hmm. I wouldn't know about XBOX, but I can tell you for PS2, load times for some games [in particular RPGs which have to load new areas] are noticeably faster.