1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Internal HD

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by lespaul58, Mar 20, 2007.

1. lespaul58

lespaul58 Member

A friend of mine has a modded xbox that has a larger (120GB) HD in it, he can back up any game he puts into the box and play directly off of the hard drive. I was wondering if any mod chips have the capability to do this for a ps2 and if so which ones? Also if anyone has any sites giving some examples of how to mount the hard drive or whatnot that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

2. lespaul58

lespaul58 Member

I believe I have a V7 ps2 w/motherboard GH-019 if that helps. The sticker on the back of mine got destroyed so I"m hoping that's enough info to get the version right.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes, you can put an internal hard drive in most systems.
    If you have a fat PS2 with a network adapter then those are the easiest. http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list there is a compatibility chart and they also have install directions. I have heard that Maxtor and Seagate are the easiest to install.

You have 2 options
    1. get a good mod chip like DMS4 Pro SE or Crystal chip V2.0
    The DMS4 Pro SE has the program to run a hard drive built into the ToxicOS that you flash it with. The Crystal Chip you get a flash plus can download programs for it to run a hard drive. This is the more expensive but best option if you plan to play back up games.

2. you get a set of discs called HD Advance to run the hard drive. Fat PS2's you can also use what is called a memory card exploit (ELF file) to run a hard drive

Now a slimline is a different animal. If you have a V12 or V13 you can put it into an HD Combo case and then install an internal hard drive. If it is above a V13 i am not sure you can do an internal at all

4. lespaul58

lespaul58 Member

awesome, thanks for the advice :) I also read that to install the hard drive you'll need a network adapter so I'll have to invest in one of those. Which chip is better the dms4 or the crystal?

5. steimy

steimy Active member

depends on what you want, but each has it's unique features.

DMS4 Pro has a built in cheat device like AR Max, Built in hard drive support and built in ELF (homebrew) file loader. But i doubt there will be any newer firmware for this chip.

They Crystal Chip V2.0 has auto patching to play back ups online without having to manually patch them, it also has programs you can download to run a hard drive. Plus the team is still active and making firmware upgrades at the moment.

I have only used tthe DMS4 Pro myself, and it is very easy to use with a hard drive.

6. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

For simplicity, the DMS4 Pro with the Toxic OS is the way to go. For more advanced features the Crystal Chip I think is a better choice, as the developers are still active.