1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 is making a clicking noise..Im clueless, Please Help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Petenutz7, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Petenutz7

Petenutz7 Member

My ps2 is making a repetative clicking noise whenever i put in a backuped DVD movie or a game. I got the swap magic 3.3 and fliptop, i installed it and the first few tiems swap magic loaded fine and then whenever i put in the dvd backup it would make a clicking noise and keep doing that. Now original games work fine. I put in fight night 04 and it worked perfectly. I tried cleaning the lens but no luck. Is there any background or reasoning to this problem? Faulty Laser, mis aligned? I also quickly messed around with the cog and adjsuted the height but no luck. What steps should i take to make it work?

Any input would be greatly appreciated seeing as this ps2 is making me go crazy.
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

Your flip top is not installed properly the clicking noise is the disc hitting the side of the tray try loosening the screws securing the fliptop, reinstall the fliptop or try putting some weight on the ps2 when playing games. Oh and make sure the little white disc is installed properly.
  4. Petenutz7

Petenutz7 Member

Im pretty sure its not the fliptop, cuz i took off the fliptop and put the original case back on and when i try playing Burned dvd's in they wont play and make the clickign noise when they used to. Im clueless
  5. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

ozzy is WRONG!!

if the flip top was not on correctly the disc would not spin AT ALL. the top cover DOES NOT affect the dvd tray in any way. the only thing it can affect is the white magnet that locks on top of the disc, and if that was being obstructed the disc would not spin.

I am an electrical engineer and i build custom ps2's and repair and refurbish them too. i have fitted 100+ fliptops and none of them have ever made the lens click.

the clicking noise is 1 of 2 things.

if the clicking noise is low frequency and happening approx 1 sec apart it is your ps2 lens popping up and down trying to read the dvdr media. This means your laser is on its last legs and will need replaced soon. this noise could also be caused by crap media. I bet it doesnt happen with originals! this is because most ps2's werent actually designed to read dvdr media (except v9+). get a new laser from ebay and fit it yourself easy as feck.

if it is more like a buzzing noise the laser guide arm on the laser is slipping on the worm gear and causing the noise. If you have a v9+ (scph-500x) the guide arm is metal and shit because it flexes and becomes loose easily. remove it and bend it back GENTLY. if your guide arm is plastic replace it. should only cost £5

adjusting the cogs etc is useless its only nedded when you are installing a new laser. if your laser is clicking it needs replaced. trust me.

PS N.Ireland rocks more!!
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  6. Petenutz7

Petenutz7 Member

wow thanks alot, appreciate it.

Its a V7, and its like a click click *pause* then it does it again and i can see the laser/lens moving up and down and shit, i was assumign it was a fault laser/lens cuz it doesnt do it with the originals and i tired everything.
  7. sizla

sizla Member

I have a version1 PS2 and i wont to replace the laser. So my question is can I replace it with one of the lasers in the higher ps2's. for example the lasers that are in versions 6 and up. thanx
  8. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

not unlessi it is the same model of laser.
  9. CiCcioX

CiCcioX Member

Hi!!
    Gazcoigne I need an help... can you post an image of the drive guide arm?? I think that I confuse it with another piece... but however I think that is this my problem... in this case, the ps2 work with the only noise disadvantage, or not work?

[ sorry for the wrong english but I'm an italian guy ;) ]
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  10. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

11. CiCcioX

CiCcioX Member

thanks!! but I have another question...this problem...appear always once it comes?? because my guide arm slipping on the worm gear only sometimes but not always and I don't know if I have to change this! thanks so much!
    bye
  12. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

if the worm gear is not lubricated enough or dirty it will make that noise. usually the plastic arms do not bend out of shape, and they rarely need replaced, it is only the metal ones that need replaced.

clean and put some lubricant on the worm gear with a cotton bud that should fix it.
  13. CiCcioX

CiCcioX Member

put some lubricant on the worm gear or in the 2 laser guide?? I've lubricated the right guide one time and it worked for 3 days...!! then, it unwork again... after a few days, it works again...so...it drive me crazy!!! :) At the moment, it works very well, I've played it today and yesterday without problem...if it doesn't work again, I'll try to lubricate everything here :D

thanks so much, you're the best in repairing ps2!!! :D
    bye
  14. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

lubricate both the worm gear and the laser guide rails.

only speaking from lots of nerve wracking experience!!

glad to be of help.

Prego, arrivederci.
  15. CiCcioX

CiCcioX Member

Prego, arrivederci ????

I'm Off topic now but.....
    are you italian?????????????????????????????????
  16. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

no im from belfast in northern ireland but i speak a tiny bit of italian and a good bit of spanish!
  17. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

many people have reported of this clicking and its actually nothing to worry about, since it wont really damage your PS2....Hopefully

It happened to me while loading the SMD CD 3.2 and I think its because the SMD CD has the PS2 sectors pressed in between the data, so it keeps reading the PS2 sectors over and over again, causing the PS2 to keep on moving its laser every time it reads it.
  18. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

wrong it is the ps2 laser struggling to read the data. it doesnt just happen on the sm discs it happens on dvd-r media coz it finds it much harder to read them than pressed media.
  19. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

thats because the burnt media has the data all in one place (the burnt portion) and the pressed disks are all separated and the coding tells the ps2 to look at a certain place for the next amount of data
  20. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

nope when you copy a dvd with the likes of dvd dectrytor is makes an image that is 1:1 with the original, all the data is located in the same sectors as the original, if it didnt the game would simply not work.

the disk drive would spend the eintire time scanning the dvd looking for the files it needs, all files are located on the TOC that tels the ps2 exactly where each file is located on the disc.
  21. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

then you mean a game that is 1 gig big has data spread all over the place?

Then how come the DVDR only shows a part of it is burnt??