1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Laser Adjustment

Discussion in 'PS2' started by strikrr, Oct 28, 2004.

1. strikrr

strikrr Member

I need a bit of help about a laser adjustment. I have a ps2 v4 and at first it wasn't reading discs at all. I opened it up and cleaned the lens and that helped a lot. I got it to read factory types of disc (games or dvds) but not burned dvds. I tried adjusting the cog wheel and that increased the start up time for factory stuff a little but not that much (things will boot just after the browser screen) but still no burned readability. Now, I have seen some suggestions to adjust the transient screw before messing with the pots, but I am not sure where that is and what type of adjustment to make on that. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  2. Daggy-G

Daggy-G Regular member

search the forum on ps2 laser ajustment,
    I've seen answers posted many many times.
    PS dont adust any voltage screws to far as u can fry your laser at 70$ usa

3. strikrr

strikrr Member

Hmm...I did a search but couldn't seem to come up with anything. I appreciate the info about the pot adjustment. Most things I have seen indicate to go no more than 20% of original settings.

What I am hoping for is a picture that shows the transient screw and some recomendations as to how to adjust that...thanks again

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  4. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Here is a link to your questions.

http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm

Yes, take the advice of all wise people here, don't mess with the pots/voltage with the laser, unless you have one of those oscilloscopes or whatever they're called. I fried my previous PS2 doing that.

I am pretty much having the same problem as yours, the console plays only originals. I am thinking about changing the laser but probably will end up selling it and getting a new console.

PS2 is such a weak piece of machinery, guess Sony made the laser so weak so you can't play backups.

5. jonels

jonels Regular member

try turning the cog clockwise 2/3/4 clicks from original position to lower the sled as dust build up on the rail grooves tends to raise them .. i would guess