1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 laser burnt out? :(

Discussion in 'PS2' started by PuFFy, Dec 15, 2007.

1. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

Hi everyone. Once again it's the good people at afterdawn I turn to when I need help. Hope someone will have some useful feedback. We own a 70011 v12 slim ps2. It is modded with the matrix infinity chip. It's the bomb we love it. When we had the chip installed a few months back the tech said the laser was kinda noisy and might need to be replaced soon. Yesterday the console stopped working. It starts up and the disc spins, but nothing happens on the screen except blackness. I don't hear the laser at all and the little red light does not appear to be illuminated on the laser either. Seems kind of obvious that it's the laser, but I just wanted to bounce this off you guys before I order a new laser. Is there any way to know for sure if it's the laser? The tech had previously mentioned a laser fix to extend the life of the laser. Can someone please elaborate on the fix a bit also? TIA

2. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

kk I decided to roll the dice and i ordered the following

Full Optical Block for v12-v15 PS2 consoles

and this also

Neo Fix XIV

I ordered from modchip.com and shipped via ups. Please someone tell me i didn't f up and waste $60

3. PuFFy

PuFFy Member

ok wow. been a mind trip this latest probs.

I opened the case to discover 1 lead from the matrix chip to the mobo had come off. I had it soldered back on, and then it would at least get a pic on the screen and boot. It gets the matrix logo, and then it goes to the sony browser cfg page, but it still won't boot a game. When you try and make it start reading the dvdr it says there is no data.

Then the laser i ordered arrived, so i figured wth I'll install it just for sh!ts n giggles to see if thats all it is. The laser didn't fix it still won't boot past the ps2 browser cfg page. I think the easiest thing to do is buy a used one this afternoon and swap the chip from my sons to the new/used one, or might the chip be fubar also?

Someone out there must have some advice please.