1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 - Laser calibration?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mika, Mar 6, 2004.

1. mika

mika Moderator Staff Member

My ps2 version 3 won't play dvd backup games anymore, original games still works. I have messiah 2 pro mod chip installed.
    i have opened ps2 and found that laserunit, like in that picture http://www.megagames.com/ps2/ps2swap/pic_06.jpg
    now, there's only one tiny screw. Am i right, that all i now have to do is to turn that screw carefully and then test again if the backup starts?...or is there something else to be done?

2. evoke

evoke Member

yeah i heard of that before.my friend did it to his
    X-box.The screw is a variable resistor.if your turn it the right amount it will be able to read CDR and DVDR.

I saw in the FAQ that a modchip will only work if it read CDRand DVDR.he said that some PS2 read CDr and DVDR.I think if you decrease the resistance the laser will be able to read CDR and DVDR.

Does anyone else know of this?????????

3. evoke

evoke Member

Was it easy to install the messiah Pro 2.

I have a DMS 3 and a PS2 version 3.I looked at the board and the space between the pins on the proceesor chips and very small.How did you solder the wires to the chip.Is there any holes that are connected to the pins on the Processor chip.

Was it easy??????

4. TheGit

TheGit Member

evoke, Use a section of razor blade and some blue-tack, if you slide the blade inbetween the pins and have the blue-tack keep it in place, you can then but the wire up against the blade and solder... if you're a novice at this DON'T DO IT! it's VERY easy to F**K up your console

5. sheldontv

sheldontv Guest

INCREASING THE EMMISSION OF AN OPTICAL BLOCK(PS1,PS2 OR ANY CD AUDIO EQUIPMENT )THAT IS IN THE EARLY STAGES OF FAILURE(LOSING EMMISSION)CAN IN SOME CASES PROLONG THE LIFE OF THE OPTICAL BLOCK-DONT INCREASE IT TOO MUCH!!!THERE IS NO GUARANTEE AS TO HOW LONG IT WILL LAST BEFORE IT FAILS FOR GOOD,AND IT WILL!!WE ALWAYS FIT NEW OPTICAL BLOCKS TO ANY GAMES CONSOLES OR AUDIO EQUIPMENT IN ORDER TO PROVIDE A REPAIR THAT WILL LAST.
    REGARDS MIKE

6. evoke

evoke Member

http://www.psxtune.com/psx2/specialse.html..

go to that site and it will tell you how to get your PS2 to read CDR.i don`t know about how it will affect the lifetime of the laser..

does anyone else have anything to add