1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Laser/ grinding problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Plack, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Plack

Plack Member

I bought my PS2 in March of this year, and since then have been using a slide card to play backups. Today I installed a flip top and it worked like a dream for a couple of hours. When I got home from work to play it some more, it started making these ungodly grinding noises. After checking out some forums (including this one) I still haven't been able to come to any real solution. Right now I have the top unscrewed so I can look at tray as I try to boot different games.

I have been able to at points (after fooling with the white cog) get my original PS2 games to run, though the grinding noise is still present. At this time I can even occasionally get swap magic to go, but when I swap a DVD-R it gives the pink no-go signal or occasionally a DRE message. When looking down at the tray it also appears that the arm that carries the laser up and down the metal track is running into a part of the motherboard, because there is a little notch in it. I'm just trying to sort out if any of these are related issues. The PS2 is a V4 that has at one point been refurbished, though I do not know for what. Gem of an E-bay purchase it was...

And lastly I've also tried greasing the tracks that the arm goes on, as well as the screw gear to the right of the tray. It seemed to help slightly, but grinding noises still rear their ugly head eventually.

2. MrToast

MrToast Guest

hey buddy, i fixed mine by just breaking off the round black housing that holds the white plastic ring. Then you need to just place it by hand when you fire up your unit. Also you can try to set a heavy object on the lid, that should work too. I have always said all along that filp tops are CRAP! I made my own with my existing playstation 2 as the plastic is so soft... I saved a bunch and its easier that way

hope it helps

3. Serath

Serath Member

Try these steps. Clean the laser with a Qtip and some rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work try adjusting the little screw on the left side (not the gear side). No go with that, laser may be shot.