1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 laser inquiry?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by tnan, Jan 6, 2005.

1. tnan

tnan Member

What moves the PS2 laser unit up from one side to the other? (Is it the white cog wheel, or a seperate motor)? If its the sepereate motor at the end of the rod, how can i test to see if it works properly?

I have a v9 PS2 (scph-50001)

2. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

you will see a metal arm on the laser resting on a threaded bar. this is called a worm gear. this moves the laser. Does the disc spin?

give me more details on your problem and i will help you. I also have a v9 ps2. I actually have 4 of them!! LOL i fix them you see!!

3. tnan

tnan Member

the disc does spin....and the laser is on. However never does it move along the threaded bar. I was told that as soon as the system gets turned on, the laser should move all the way to the front. My system does not move, even after I manually slide it to the opposite end.

I am able to get the white PLAYSTATION 2 icon, however it goes black, and the disc just spins forever.

Does this help?

4. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

strange. usually the ps2 logo would not appear if the laser wasnt reading the disc correctly, it would simply stay at the browser screen. do not undestandtat at all.

it sounds like the worm gear motor is dead. you can repace it bit tricky if youve never done it before. go to ww.whitedog.co.uk for UK or www.richspsxparts.com for USA.

sorry i cant be of moe help ive never heard of this problem before. If your still stuck after replacin it get back to me.

5. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

strange. usually the ps2 logo would not appear if the laser wasnt reading the disc correctly, it would simply stay at the browser screen. do not undestandtat at all.

it sounds like the worm gear motor is dead. you can repace it bit tricky if youve never done it before. go to ww.whitedog.co.uk for UK or www.richspsxparts.com for USA.

sorry i cant be of moe help ive never heard of this problem before. If your still stuck after replacin it get back to me.

6. tnan

tnan Member

its funny, but it will read the white PLAYSTATION 2 logo if i place the laser manually at the precise position where it would intially be (if it worked properly), which is an 1/8 away from the spinner wheel (the wheel which spins the disc)....i'm assuming it just goes black after the white logo because the laser is supposed to move to read the rest of the cd....well thanks anyways....

7. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

There is a ribbon that connects the laser for power with the motor. Check your ribbons, i had a problem similar.

Ludikhris

8. tnan

tnan Member

It's funny you say that, because immediately after my last post, I realized that cable was leading to nowhere, which made me believe is the problem. And well it turns out that was it...for some reason is was unattatched from the a white inlet. I hooked it together, and my laser started sliding back and forth again. YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! It all works again!

Well thanks for the help....you saved me taking a sledgehammer to it!

9. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

WOOT! glad i could kinda be of some help!!

Ludikhris