1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Laser/Mirror cleaning This really works!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by IfixPS2, Feb 1, 2008.

1. IfixPS2

IfixPS2 Guest

2. redux79

redux79 Regular member

There are several reasons to adjust the cog wheel, the main one being a temporary fix for a faulty or dieing laser. You may very well be genuinely trying to help people with DRE's but don't spam the same post and links in different threads.

I only noticed because you managed to post the same exact thing in at least 4 different threads in less than an hour. One of the threads was from mid January and seemed to have been resolved.

All help is appreciated here just try and wait until someone asks for it instead of dragging up old threads. If your method really works maybe the mods will let you post a guide.

3. IfixPS2

IfixPS2 Guest

fusk you, just because your all wrong dont get all pissed off. I spent months playing with those fusking cog wheels and they ARE NOT the problem. Why shouldnt I post on threads man fusk this the internet is full of you people who are rude and callous. Whatever.

4. redux79

redux79 Regular member

Well yes I could be wrong about how well your method works seeing as how I have no way to test or confirm it. I still doubt however that cleaning the mirror is a universal fix for dre's. I could see that as one of the first steps in deductive reasoning to determine/fix the problem.

I never said don't post on these threads I only stated that repeatedly posting the same thing in a short period of time isn't the best idea, people are less likely to believe you.

I understand you have spent a significant amount of time trying to fix your dre problems and cleaning the mirror is the solution that worked for you. If you’re not able to defend your position and instead decide to drop the f-bomb several times then call me rude and callous... good luck trying to convince anyone that you’re right.

5. IfixPS2

IfixPS2 Guest

The thing that upset me was the fact that you instead of trying it would just knock it. Sorry for the F-bomb if you are a civilized person than I can be too..I offer a cautious apology, cautious because I still suspect that people don't know that I am correct.

I KNOW that this is the problem. I have adjusted those cog wheels in the past, I have disassembled the whole damn thing and gotten the ribbon cables out and put them back in and then I severed the silver cable by mistake just trying to shove it back in (note that I never meant to remove it at all). Anyway I then...being frustrated because I could not adjust the voltage on the laser, took a screwdriver and jammed it into the lens and it popped off and under it I saw a dirty little bugger of a lens.

6. redux79

redux79 Regular member

Sorry if I was abrupt in my first post, it just seems like every other day someone comes along claiming to have solved a problem that's plagued people for years. I watched your video on you tube, its right to the point and draws attention to the area that most people (including me) would over look.

I am curious to see if someone will try your method and can in a sense resurrect their ps2 without having to screw with the laser voltage or cog wheels. Adjusting the different settings has been the conventional wisdom for years and even that for the most part was only to get it working until you could replace the laser entirely.

7. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

I just happened to stumble upon this thread as I was having issues with DRE's myself-and was hoping I would not have to replace the laser as I had sent the unit to Sony a few years ago when they had that lawsuit against them for this same matter..
    In any event, my PS2 has been sitting dormant for about three months now because it would not read games or anything else for that matter..I have adjusted the cogs in the past, and most recently swiped the lens with alcohol-laden Q-tips to no avail..
    After trying the method as mentioned above, I will tell you that I was successful in getting my PS2 to read games again and it worked well...I did not think of blowing air underneath the lens before, even though the last time I had it apart I did use the canned air to dry off the lens after cleaning it with q-tips-as well as blowing out the dust from the rest of the unit-just not underneath the lens...

Thanks for the tip, guy...

8. IfixPS2

IfixPS2 Guest

Ty for posting a success story I want to help everyone please just spread along the info...my video is irrelevant but the knowledge is not. Glad it worked. Yeah that was my mission, I wanted to stop people from having to call Sony and replace lasers and disconnect ribbon cables etc. So I came here...sorry for my craziness in trying to just paste links everywhere lol ;)

9. IfixPS2

IfixPS2 Guest

I only knew to do this because I jammed a screwdriver into the laser of a donated "broken" PS2 I had broken the silver cable that connects the power/open button. I then destroyed the laser assembly and voila there was the real problem staring me in the face...I thought about every time I had tried to swab it and adjust the cogs...getting something to work but never perfectly and not all discs. After seeing this I blew air under my room mates laser and it worked like a charm.