1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 laser problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by joshmo, Mar 25, 2004.

1. joshmo

joshmo Member

I have abig problem, I tried to clean my laser with some alcohol and everything went fine cleaning it, but now when I go to play a game or movie my ps2 will just sit there saying reading disc, I think I screwed something up with the alignment of the laser or the laser itself, its about 2 years old and i have a messiah mod, now nothing will play in it, is there anything I can do, thanks

2. liljoe

liljoe Guest

did u move it out of place wnen u were cleaning it try moving the laser so it starts at the begaining of the disk

3. joshmo

joshmo Member

where exactly do i move it to so it does that, also the white clicky circle moved a bit how do i set that back to default.

4. liljoe

liljoe Guest

ok just give it a lil push and the white thing get a screw driver and bring it back slowly

5. joshmo

joshmo Member

ok but i dont know where to move these things too, is there a diagram or correct placement they need to be at. Cause I have no idea where to move them back too

6. midgarguy

midgarguy Member

I'm working on adjusting mine again, for the third time.
    It is a version 1 PS2 and has served me well for a long time. However, now I'm hacing trouble playing backups and even loading a Swap Magic disk can give trouble.

Now, it is working a lot better and here is how I fixed it.

http://www.ps2newz.net/htmguide/PS2 Laser Adjustment and Replacement Guide.htm

I hope the above link works.

Most people say to mark the Cog wheel but I don't.
    I deviate from the above guide a little.

The first thing I do is adjust the Cog wheel.
    Turn it until you see the lazer fall to the bottom. Once it is there start adjusting it a few notches at a time until you get a response from the PS2.
    After that start adjusting the Transient screw and get it as good as you can. Next adjust the Cog wheel just a little more to tweak it.

Or just follow the above guide and you should be fine.

I never got mine like it was the day i bought it but it does load most games before the browser screen comes up . Usually if the browser screen appears the game loads with 2 seconds of it. So it isn't perfect but very very close.

And mine was so bad that after the "Playstation" word cam up it went back to the browser.

7. joshmo

joshmo Member

I adjusted it so the laser falls all the way down, what did you mean by

Once it is there start adjusting it a few notches at a time until you get a response from the PS2.

And whats the best way to adjust the Transient screw

8. midgarguy

midgarguy Member

Basically, what I meant was to adjust it (the white cog wheel) 2 notches at a time and try to load a PS2 DVD based game. If it doesn't load move it two more notches and try it again. Do this until you can get a game to load. Keep going about 2 notches at a time until the game loads the fastest or until it doesn't load at all and then go back 2 or 3 notches to the point it was working. If you can get a game to load just after the browser screen you are doing good. If you can only get a game to load a long time after the browser screen you are still doing ok but not great. You just need more adjustments to the Transient screw.

What I did was to tighten the Transient screw down about as far as it would go and then slowly work my way up until I finally got a game to load quickly or atleast get a game to load. This screw is extreemly sensitive, I would only make really short turns until you get a game to load. Go about 1/8 of a turn each time you try to load a game. Once you finally get the game to load just keep adjusting until you can get a quick load. Just like when adjusting the cog wheel your goal is to get a game to load before the browser comes up. If you can only get the game to load after a long wait then leave it and adjust the cog wheel one more time and you should be able to get a perfect boot.

All of this depends on how old everything is. I can't seem to get a quick boot anymore. My games load right as the browser screen comes up, which is pretty good. But when I use certian DVD's like the Swap Magic I could be waiting a full 60 seconds.

This laser adjustment can take a long time to do. It took me 3 hours before I got this far. But it was well worth it!

Here is another guide that may help you out too. It's a good guide but they recomend trying out all PS2 game formats. I don't recommend this as I find it useless since the DVD9's or DVD games are the hardest things for a PS2 to load. Chances are, if you can load a DVD9 game you can load about anything. The quide below also doesn't talk about adjusting the Transient screw, which helped mine out tremendously.

Basically, I sort of put both of these quides together and got my PS2 to work again.

http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/003/gaming/ps2/ps2-1.html

The key to whole thing is that darn Transient Screw that no one ever talks about.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004