1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Laser Problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Raider49, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Raider49

Raider49 Member

Not sure if this is the right forum but anyways!!

I've had my PS2 since 2002 and recently it's been taking a looong time for games to start up. It just sits there at the browser screen for a few minutes then the games starts...I'm assuming there is a problem with the laser. Any easy was fix this problem?

2. drklrd1

drklrd1 Member

1) You could try adjusting the laser first.
    2) If that doesn't work, you can try adjusting the tiny resistors for the lens. (Requires laser removal)
    3) Replace the laser.
    4) Replace the unit.

3. redux79

redux79 Regular member

I used to have an old fat ps2 (can't remember the version) that did the same thing. Games took longer and longer to load, sometimes not even recognizing the disc. Make sure the disc and laser are clean, not just from dust but from smoke residue cigarettes, incense, candles, ect... I almost gave up until I started messing with the options.

I changed the disc speed from normal to fast and messed with a few other options. It kept working until my friends rabbit chewed through every last cord except the power cord (damn rabbit). I have no idea how much longer it would have lasted if not for the rabbit incident, it kept chuggin along for 6 months up until that point.

At best it’s a temporary fix if your games fail to load, if I remember correctly it seemed to help the load time. I can only assume leaving the disc speed on fast would put more wear and tear on different components.