1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 laser reading cleaner faq?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ablunt, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ablunt

ablunt Member

i have come to the conclusion that maybe my ps2 laser is dirty. anyone have any info on how to clean it, or sites that explain how to clean it?
    thanks

2. wazup1023

wazup1023 Member

Buy a laser cleaning cd. You can find it at all electronics stores such as best buy

3. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

follow the link in my sig' there is a full repair guide in the downloads section

4. ev1l

ev1l Guest

if u are having problems with your ps2 lens. send it back to sony they will do it for free. i almost forgot to tell u something. sony will only do it for free if the model number and serial number is old. like u brought your sony 4 years ago or 3

5. mistatnn

mistatnn Guest

i have a v7 that i bought back in 2002 so does that exclude me? i got a flip-top on it so does that make me ineligible again cause the seal is broken?

6. ev1l

ev1l Guest

no that wouldnt matter u can still send it to sony and they will fix any parts that are needed to fix. my ps2 lens was broken and sony fix it for free and puls i had a mod chip in my system and sony still did it for free

7. ev1l

ev1l Guest

only certin seral numbers sony will do it for free others you may have to pay. if the model number is brand new you are out of luck

8. AngeloE9

AngeloE9 Guest

I sent my ps2 back to sony for a laser problem and they charged me 90Bucks.

9. ev1l

ev1l Guest

dude you have to have a old model serial number it has to between the year of 2000 or 2001. the person on the phone will tell you if it is free or not for you system

10. ev1l

ev1l Guest

to tell u the truth i got my ps2 fix for free

11. gamergrl

gamergrl Guest

if my ps2 has a flip top on it will they fix it for free ? its a V4 old

12. ev1l

ev1l Guest

yea sony will fix it for free it doesnt matter if you have a mod chip in your ps2 system

13. ev1l

ev1l Guest

i have a version 4 to

14. gamergrl

gamergrl Guest

great ! thanks for the info.

15. gamergrl

gamergrl Guest

oh , 2 more q's :

can i send an xbox to MS to get the laser cleaned for free ?

if the warrenty seal is broken will they fix my PS2 for free ?

16. 2005

2005 Regular member

Okay lets take it from the top, for one if you get disk read errors, its not because your laser is "dirty" its because your laser is out of alignment. Ive had 5 people in my school have disk read errors and have paid me 20 bucks each to fix the problem... not too hard at all. All you need to do is remove all the screws from the bottom.. . slide the case of and dont yank out the eject ribbion... now take off the top of the cd drive with a small jewlers screw and pull the tray out... you will need to remove two small screws in the front of the tray to do so. So you will find a small white gear in the back of the tray.... take a sharpie and note the position by marking it where it touches a metal tab on the left hand side of the gear... turn the gear counter clockwise to raise it up.. go up about 2 clicks per try, reassemble it and try the disks out.. if they dont work... raise it up 2 more clicks.

17. gamergrl

gamergrl Guest

great! thanks 2005, seems to have worked on my ps2 !(i also used compressed air)

uh uhm sorry for being a pest ~_~ ... but is there a similar methode for fixing this prob on xbox ? my xbox needs to be loaded about 10 times before it will play any game or movie :( *cries* lol

18. ev1l

ev1l Guest

oh i c