1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 LASER TICKING NOISE

Discussion in 'PS2' started by amuncey, Jan 26, 2005.

1. amuncey

amuncey Member

Hey,
    By now i should be a pro with these ps2 lasers!
    v1 ps2
    khs-400b laser
    old laser was having difficultly reading dvd's - read cd's fine,
    tried white cog, tried screw on laser rail(other height/angle adjustment)
    tried slightly tweaking potentiometer, to increase power to dvd laser.

TRIED EVERYTHING!

so i bought new laser (psxrepair.com didnt send one i payed £30 for, claimed it back of paypal) so i bought one from ebay.

SAME PROBLEM! plays dvd's fine,
    I have tried adjusting position, not the potenentiometers, as i hope i dont ahve to resort to that! (may damage it)

When i boot with dvd's in, it makes ticking noise, upon inspection, found this noise was the laser lens eye, moving up and down (i.e chaniging distance from disc-NOT THE COG AT THE SIDE, THAT ADJUSTS THE DISTANCE FROM THE CENTRE OF THE DISC)

[bold]So laser is moving up and down ticking, how do i fix? any ideas?[/bold]
    thanks
    Muncey

2. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

mate simple answer is that you have been conned on ebay and bought someone elses laser that is f*cked up that they have replaced themselves.

this has happened to me before too. some little b*stard replaced his laser and put the broken one on ebay sayin it was a workin ps2 laser. i bought it but sussed it out straight away.

the clicking is the laser tryin to focus on the disc but it cant coz its f*cked.

get on to the seller immediately and tell him youve had the laser checked and it is a dud. if they are a reputable company they should replace it.

Now i have recieved a defective laser from an ebay comany also (quite same experience) but it was a genuine faulty laser and they replaced it immediately.

simple answer get on to them and demand a replacement coz the one you have is crap.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  3. Doulley

Doulley Guest

let me shorten ur answer u have a version 1 everyone i know has a burnt out laser get a new laser installed and put the romeo laser protection mod in ur ps2 thjat should help out with ur problem

4. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

the romeo mod is for the new slimline models to protect the dodgy 1st batch of lasers to withstand the installation.

completely wrong solution for this problem.

search the forums on romeo mods you'll see

5. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

hey first post in quite a while...

romeo mod is also for the old school version 9 and 10 PS2s (SCHP 5000X)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  6. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member