1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Lens Question

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Bison_m, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Bison_m

Bison_m Member

Hi All

How long does the average ps2 lens work for? Bearing in mind that I use a flip top ps2 and backed-up games on it. Do backed-up games damage the lens more than normal ps2 discs?

I'm lucky I've had my ps2 for ages now, and had no problems with it! Even after some nasty dropping of the console incidents :0) Has anyone had major problems with the ps2 lens? Are different models better than others.? Whats the deal? Are they easy to replace.

Cheers

2. steimy

steimy Active member

no answer to that question. Some wear out and some don't. I have one at home in my closet that i had to readjust the laser every time i played it or it would't read the discs. It was such a pain i just bought a new one. I keep it in case i need spare parts because it is a V5/6 and i still have a V7 in one room, and my new premodded slim PSTwo in the other.

3. Bison_m

Bison_m Member

Cheers steimy, what are the lenses like to replace? As I said not that mines broken, but you never know how long there gonna last. Mines been going on for ages. :)

4. steimy

steimy Active member

5. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

The laser is pretty easy to replace.

If you follow a guide then you should be able to do it if you need to in the future.

You can pick up a new one on ebay for about £25

6. Bison_m

Bison_m Member

Thanks, at least I know its possible if the worst happens. And I'm not a stranger to opening the PS2 up for modifications.

You mentioned cleaning the lens. Other than getting a lens cleaning CD, whats the best way. Don't think I've ever cleaned my lens. Isn't there a chance that you knock the lens out of position when cleaning?