1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Lens & Scratched Discs

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jcccf, Aug 6, 2003.

1. jcccf

jcccf Guest

Is it true that scratched discs affect or damage the PS2's "sensitive" lens?

If so, what kind of scratches cause this damage? (i.e. small, medium, large)

2. jcccf

jcccf Guest

bump

3. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

I kno that they make the laser work harder. An it might even wear the lens out. But some sratches cam be serious. My GTA3 game got a small but deep scatch on it which made the game freeze alot and even mess up the graphics. But i bought that gamedoctor thing. And i used it and the scatch kinda went away and the game started to work agian. But sometimes u would still see the problems but after many times of playin the game it got back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2003
  4. jcccf

jcccf Guest

how about many small surface scratches

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The lense is only a magnifying glass.
    The laser diodes are mounted inside the cast unit and are directed through the lense by a mirror - similar to that of a periscope.

The lense or 'optic' on a PS2 is energised by coils and moves up/down to focus in on streams of information.
    You can hear this by slight clicking sounds.

Now if you have scratches or using a disc with low reflectivity, then the optic needs to work twice as hard to read the info - called error correction.

It is possible that, the optic could collide with a damaged disc, however it is designed to retract on unreadable discs.

If you have a damaged optic, then it will only be a matter of time before it is terminal, it will initially take longer to load, then would be skipping and freezing, eventually leading to total disc read error.

This is not a very common occurance, and usually is down to scratched discs rather than lenses.

6. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Wow that is a good answer.....

7. jcccf

jcccf Guest

so...will i ever need to replace my lens? given that i'm an average ps2 gamer.

8. psx245

psx245 Regular member

get the ps2 dvd/cd laser cleaner!!! at walmart or something. i've tried it!!! my ps2 use to be nosy and then i've tried the laser cleaner and it worked great!!!

9. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Yea i got the scotch laser lens cleaner from bestbuy and keep it just in case my ps2's lens gets dirty. It is very fast and easy to do. I bought scotch kind because i heard it was really good for those kind of things.

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Over a period of time the lens can become dirty - a good cleaner is initially very effective.

Another problem which occurs - this occurs to most dvd players and cd players aswell.

Within the laser cast the mirror which angles the laser power can become dusty and therefore causes blips in data transfer.

The best way for this is a small can of compressed air with a small straw attachment. (short squirts NOT CONSTANT) this can clean up the mirror quite nicely (BUT DONT JUST RAM THE STRAW IN THERE AND BLAST - care needs to be taken - however it may not always be the overall solution....

Main reasons for skipping/disc read errors:

1.Low reflectivity media - bad media
    2.Scratched media
    3.Laser diodes becoming weak - aging issue
    4.Contaminated or scratched lens
    5.Failing lens driver ic - normally being overdriven
    6.Dirty mirror within the laser cast
    7.Asimuth screw - sets the height of lens to disc
    8.Angle adjustment wheel - white cog on rear of tray.

As you can see there are alot of variables above and ANY one of the above WILL influence the data transfer of the laser.......

These are the factors I look at when disc read errors are encountered - going with the obvious at first - Cleaning....age of unit....how often is it used.....etc...

Hope this helps...