1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Life Expectancy and Chip Questions...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by e3e4520, Oct 24, 2004.

1. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi,
    I am not onto the end of the life of my second PS2. My first PS2 with Magic 3(turns out to be a clone) lasted me about 7 months, and my PS2 stopped working (backups won't load, freezes, crashes). And I bought a new PS2 earlier this year with DMS3. And today, it stopped working as well, certain backups won't load, games loads slow, etc.

What is the average life expectancy of you guys with modded consoles? I mean, both of my PS2 only lasted half a year and I am not even a hardcore gamer. I don't think either of them went above 200 hours of playing time. And I am really tired of spending all those hard-earned money because modded consoles are not cheap....

And if I were to get another new console, what chip would anyone recommend? The new DMS? Or the Matrix Infinity? Which chip is more stable and doesn't put pressure on the PS2 as much?

Also, does anyone know any places that buys broken PS2? Preferably in the LA area but online is also fine.

Many, many thanks in advance.

mark

2. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Anyone please help??

3. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

it sounds like your using bad media and straining the laser. try using better media and maybe they will last longer. i have had a version 10 chipped with a matrix infinity and it has worked every day without a problem for about 4 months now.

4. jonels

jonels Regular member

just clean the lens... yesterday i cleaned my nephews ver4 ps2 @ 2 years old which wouldn't play the backups i tried on it and even skipped playing perfectly good original dvd films, after.... (it took about 10 mins i was being careful)... it played dvd's flawlessly and we sat playing San Andreas backup on it perfectly for hours

5. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi guys, thanks for the help.

I did try cleaning the lens (with a lens-cleaner CD) but it didn't help, I am not sure if bad media is causing the problem but it may be. However isn't 6 months a little bit too short even for bad mediums? I don't even play that much games.

Is the PS2 laser that delicate? It's almost like Sony made the machine weak on purpose so it wouldn't play backups. PS1 lasts forever with however kind of mod there is....I wonder if the newer PS2 would be any better, but I'm starting to lose interests in this console....

Which chip is better by the way? The new DMS? Matrix Infinity? Or Messiah?

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

check out this site it might help you get that ps2 working again http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm , by the way i have a v4(about 2 and a half years old) with a magic 3.1 and a v7 (about 18 months old)that uses swapmagic/fliptop both are used on a regular basis and both work like the day i got them

7. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Devilhunt thanks, I will try that tonight. I am pretty scared of opening up the PS2 and deal with the laser because I've already fried one PS2 because of that, but I've got nothing to lose, either I do it or I have a piece of junk sitting in front of me. So I'll try it again, but I don't think I'll touch the pots...

Does the electric current affect the life of the PS2? Some friend told me it'll be better if I hook it up with a UPS, is that true?

8. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

as you say you have nothing to loose at the moment you have a dead ps2 and at worst you will still have a dead ps2, personaly i have never connected my ps2 through a UPS(and haven't seen many people mention them on the forum) but if you suffer from a poor power supply and a lot of spikes then it might be worth considering, just take your time and don't rush dismantleing your ps2 and you should be fine
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]dvd loader http://members.cox.net/candrid2/index.html
    identify your ps2 version http://www.modchip.com/ps2/ps2id.htm
    using swapmagic got problem game check out http://www.swapmagicfix.com/
    ntsc/pal patch http://www.geocities.com/jayteemaster2003/[/small]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  9. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Hi,
    I may try the UPS idea, I just tried cleaning the laser/adjusting height last night, it helped the problems a little but it still loads quite slow. I do know for a fact that the current in my house suck, so it might be safer to use a UPS...I have some other expensive electric equipments so I don't want to take any chances.

Does anyone know how long it's going to take for makers to come out with a compatible chip for the new PS2?

10. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  11. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

I see, but will the chip have any compatibility problem? Because DMS3 seemed to have a slight problem when the chip was fitted on the then-new 50001 machines, the ones with progressive scan (that's what I had) and it was never 100% reliable, though quite reliable. Not sure if it's gonna happen again.

I'm leaning towards getting a Matrix Infinity, and will probably solder it myself this time around. Wonder how long it's gonna take to come out...

12. bboy_flex

bboy_flex Regular member

Are you talking about the Matrix infinity. Its already out man.

13. tom804

tom804 Regular member

excatly what do you mean by bad media could you explain that further?