1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 makes clicking noise

Discussion in 'PS2' started by heath007, May 25, 2007.

1. heath007

heath007 Member

I have recently had problems with my slimline V12 console reading backups, so i attempted to adjust the POTs on the laser. Then the laser wouldn't even attempt to read, so I decreased the voltage. Now the laser continually moves down the guide arm and and even tries to keep going once its reached the spindle, hitting the spindle making a clicking noise. I don't know if I need to purchase a new laser because it dead or the ribbon cable is loose from when I removed the laser to adjust the POTs. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. piggy2

piggy2 Member

Did you use multimeter to check the pot value before making change? (cd/dvd) If you lower the resistance too much, you can end up shorting the laser coil. Do some internet search for the proper range of value on v12. You might also want to measure the resistance of the coil to make sure that both cd and dvd coil is still acceptable, otherwise, the next thing going to get burn is the controller chip.

As for the click noise, its it the laser moving up and down click or lounder click like plastic snap? If its snapping sound, check the laser arm that touch to the snake rail to make sure that the arm gear is not worn out and it is clean. Clean the rail and put a bit superlube grease.

However, if the click is track seeking, the laser head is most likely to be too weak for the head to read the signal. Either way, make sure that you haven't burn up the controller chip before thinking about change laser head.

3. heath007

heath007 Member

the clicking is the laser trying to move down. when it gets all the way to the spindle, it keeps trying to move down and hits the spindle and keeps on going, hitting the spindle. its NOT the height of the laser.

4. piggy2

piggy2 Member

Check the laser head, there is a switch on the side that prevent the head going down any further. Did you pay attention how many click it went thru before hitting? The laser is searching for disc track, if it can find it, it will keep look for it. Also make sure your cable is connect correctly and the excessive part is push back into the little slide hole.

5. heath007

heath007 Member

thanks for the input. I would try it but now the laser wont do anything. probably dead. I am not even going to mess with installing a new one either. I am sick of messing with it. I'm just going to buy a used ps2 and switch my mod over to the other ps2. I can still sell it on ebay for parts for about $20-40. Thanks a bunch piggy2, you've been a GREAT help. I learned a little bit more today. :)