1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 making loud noise

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ibanez407, Feb 3, 2005.

1. ibanez407

ibanez407 Member

i recently installed a fliptop on my brother's ps2(v5/v6). It has a strange problem, though. It reads original ps2 disks fine, but when it reads backup DVD's it makes a lot of loud noise, like the laser is struggling to read it. It won't read some backup games, yet it will read others. I know there is nothing wrong with the backups b/c I tried them on my ps2. The games he tried were DVD-R's, but the most recent game he backed up was on a DVD+R and it seemed to work fine. Could the problem be the type of dvd that he was using?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Mine did that too when i put on my flip top and put back all of the screws in the bottom, but then i took them out and put the top on without putting the screws back in the bottom and it has worked fine ever since. I had a laser that i kept having to adjust so i figured i would leave the screws out since i had to open it up every couple of months anyway. mabey it tightened it down too much or something.

3. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

It's probably the media he's using. If you lurk around these forums enough, you'll see that a lot of people's problems with PS2 reading stems from bad media.

SOOO, check out this table at
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

And check out what kind of media you have.
    If you're not sure what kind of media you're using, then pop your blank DVD into DVD Decrypter and set it to write mode, and it'll give you a whole bunch of info on your DVD.

There are other tools to do this with, but DVD Decrypter is something you're probably already using.

4. ibanez407

ibanez407 Member

I don't think it's the media. He used a TDKGO2
    DVD-R. I can play any of his games on my ps2 just fine. For some reason, when he tries to play some of them it says "invalid ps2 disc." It's not an invalid disk, though. That's why I don't know what it is.

5. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

You never know! Actually, I'm more familiar with that media than you know, ha ha ha!

The first and only kind of DVD-R that I tried on my v12 was a TDKG02 and it wouldn't read, it would give me an invalid disc screen as well.

In fact, I was so surprised that I thought my v12 wouldn't even read DVD-R at all, I mean, since those discs work in every other player that I know (both with the players in my house, as well as the ones in my girlfriend's house)

Well, whatever he does, don't throw those TDKs out, they're beautiful discs, but try using more DVD+Rs. Those have never given me a problem, not even with so-called crappy CMC discs.