1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 MAKING STRANGE NOISES

Discussion in 'PS2' started by paniks44, Sep 1, 2004.

1. paniks44

paniks44 Member

I have a slide card for my ps2 and i havent had any problems with it. Now, when i am playing my back up game sometimes when it is loading something it will start going slow and making strange noises, almost like a clicking noise. I tried cleaning the lens but that didnt work, unless i didnt do it good enough. Anyone know what it could be?

2. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

hm... that kinda depend, my friend ps2 makes loud noise when playing compact disc game but not with dvd. And he doesn't have slide card but maybe slide card the cause?? Did u test games without the slide card?

3. paniks44

paniks44 Member

I tryed some games with out the slide card and they did the same thing. It seems liek its gettin worse. Ill be playin ncaa football and when it wants to play a replay or somethin it takes real long and starts makin this noise like it is havin trouble readin the disc. Could it stil be the lens?

4. paniks44

paniks44 Member

the noise is like a clicking, like a baseball card on a bike or something and sometimes it gets real bad. It gets worse the more i play it each time i turn on my ps2. In the beginning it isnt bad but after awhile it gets bad. It happens when something is loading.

5. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

The problem could be the lens, but im guessing its the dvd, so does the ncaa dvd have any scraches on it? what brand media do you use? does this happen with all your games now?

6. paniks44

paniks44 Member

it couldnt be the disks, even disks w/o the slide card dont work sometimes. It seems that whenever i have my ps2 on for a while say 45 min it starts doin it. If i have it on real long then reset it, it cant even read the disk. Which would usually mean its the lens but i didnt think it usually made that sound?

7. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

That usually means ur PS2 is overheating.. is ur fan working properly?? also have yo tried cleaning ur lens or adjusting the white cog inside ur PS2?

8. paniks44

paniks44 Member

i tried cleaning the lens today and it seemed to work for about an hour then it started doing what it was doing before but only a little less. what is the white cog?

9. paniks44

paniks44 Member

my fan seems to be goin good

10. psmo290

psmo290 Member

Hey, i have almost the same problem

i have a V9 ps2, i can play all ps2 CD games and all ps1 games fine but when i put it a dvd, the ps2 idles for a few seconds then the opening screen comes up, i can hear the disc spinning with breaks in between. and finally i get the disc read error message. I tried cleaning the lens and adjusting the white knobs.

what else can i do?

i heard that i might need to adjust the laser voltage but i never found one for a V9 ps2 b4, can someone help me?

11. paniks44

paniks44 Member

it looks like it could be something like it is overheating. I had my ac on and my room temp was way down and it didnt do it the whole time. The fan is going i am pretty sure tho.

12. psmo290

psmo290 Member

my fan works fine.

13. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

psmo, to fix DREs only adjust the white cog one or two turns at a time, then test a dvd, if it still doesnt work turn it a bit more and test again until it works.

14. psmo290

psmo290 Member

i did that but it still didn't work

15. paniks44

paniks44 Member

i realized it must be something with overheating because the longer i keep it on the worse it gets. the air coming out of the fan is very hot. Its not the discs because it happens with all of them, even without my slide card. could the ps2 be like jus working too hard?

16. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

Try getting an USB Fan, that might help but if you have a hard drive, then of course that will heat up.

BTW your ps2 dvd tray could be damage. You might have to replace it. Maybe you should go into a sony store and let them check the ps2 out.

17. paniks44

paniks44 Member

it seems like every once in a while my ps2 just needs a break. At least i won't play it too much now and maybe i will start doin better in school haha, thanks for your help.

18. paniks44

paniks44 Member

one more thing... what is the white cog and how do i adjust it?

19. paniks44

paniks44 Member

psmo... you sure your dvd media is fine?

20. psmo290

psmo290 Member

yes, i have a new modded ps2 and it works fine but my old v9 ps2 won't play it