1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 MAME EMULATOR guide here

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ps2hacka, May 8, 2006.

1. mamey88

mamey88 Member

i dont know if there is one, i suppose you'd have to try them all and see which ones work

it's a big job, i guess nobody has got round to that!

2. hursty

hursty Active member

i made this combo that works

280ZZZAP
    ARKANOI2
    ASTINVAD
    ATETRIS
    ATHENA
    AVALNCHE
    BADDUDES
    BAGMAN
    BANKP
    BIGPROWR
    BOMBJACK
    BOULDASH
    BRKTHRU
    BUBLBOBL
    CARNIVAL
    CCASTLES
    CENTIPED
    CHAMPBAS
    CHEEKYMS
    CIRCUSC
    COMMANDO
    CRASH
    CSHIFT
    DESTDERB
    DIAMOND
    DIGDUG
    DIGDUG2
    DKONG3
    DKONGJR
    DOCASTLE
    DOGFIGHT
    DOWILD
    DRMARIO
    DUCKHUNT
    ELEVATOR
    FROGGER
    GALAGA
    GALAXIAN
    GGHOST
    GORF
    HYPERSPT
    JACKAL
    JRKING
    KINGOFB
    LWINGS
    MARIO
    MARKHAM
    MEGATACK
    METEOR
    MIKIE
    MISSILE
    MPATROL
    MSPACMAN
    NATODEF
    NAUGHTYB
    NEMESIS
    PANG
    PHOENIX
    PUNCHOUT
    RAIDRS5T
    RALLYX
    RENEGADE
    RETOFINV
    SLAPBTUK
    SLAPFIGH
    SSI
    TAPPER
    TERRACRE
    THEPIT
    THIEF
    TIMBER
    TIMEPLT
    TNZS2
    TOKISENS
    TP84
    TRACKFLD
    VANGRD2
    VSYARD
    WANTED
    YIEAR
    ZAXXON
    ZODIACK

3. chingon07

chingon07 Guest

You are sure all those work?

4. chingon07

chingon07 Guest

Is not that I dont trust you or anything but I wasted 10 cd's doing this I haven't got a single game to work.

5. gohito

gohito Guest

hi, I'm new

I loaded the elf file and it stucked in the WWW.PS2NEWZ.COM LOGO and that's it.
    What should I do?

6. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

In case anybody stumbles upon this again.....
    A lot of game tools, especially emulation, aren't made by pirates.
    That is to say, unlike swap-magic related stuff, and other PS2 utilities, a lot of tools for emulation aren't made with the intent of letting people play games or for security-breaking purposes.

Quite a few of the guys who make releases with security-breaking measures make money in some sort of way, or at the very least, get some kind of reward in security-related communities. For instance, the guys running the Swap Magic utilities aren't doing it as a free release, they do it to satisfy the needs of people who have swap magic, to keep them from switching away from their system.

With that said, I can now say that the guys at MAME are incredibly strict about how their program is used. Their main purpose isn't to allow people to play games, it's to correctly and completely emulate arcade hardware. The ability to play games comes as a byproduct and a benchmark. They're simply not interested in making games run fast, or implementing a lot of hacks (like they used to), or doing ANYTHING that would get them in trouble in the legal sector (for instance, I had to code up my own support for Tetris The Grandmaster 2 in MAME in order to play it, seeing as how Arika threatened them when they did it). In other words, just because they have capabilities to do things, it doesn't mean they're going to do it.

XMAME is a linux port of MAME. Linux has a distribution that works on the PS2, therefore, if you can run linux on your PS2, then you can run Xmame. However, there are a lot of things on the PS2 which make it hard to emulate...

I guess a lot of people don't really understand how computers work, or the fact that a lot of consoles don't use commonly available hardware. Computer engineering is not something you just pick up in a weekend, and it's not even like you can really get educated on really specific things. The best you can do is learn the basics, learn common stuff, and then move on to really specific platforms. For instance, the PS1 ran on a MIPS processor, which is incredibly common, but look how long it took to get the emulation mostly correct on it. This was mostly because of some of its unusual hardware, and lack of documentation on it. The Gameboy Advance runs on an ARM processor, which is also common, and look how laggy and buggy the emus for it run.... it's not because people don't know how they work, it's just that emulator authors don't generally have documentation specific enough to correctly emulate something. The best they can do is reverse-engineer and then try to port it over to PC.

So, it's always been in game companies' interest to NOT give out documentation, or even try to give people a chance to figure out what they're running. I'm sure there's thousands of things about the PS2 nobody knows except the guys that designed it, and maybe a few seasoned developers (Like EA, they make some amazing looking games on PS2), and this causes a problem when trying to develop for it WITHOUT help from Sony, WITHOUT technical documentation, and without any kind of direction or support whatsoever.

It's not just Sony, it's everyone. That's why emulators are at the state they're at : emu developers don't get paid to do what they do. And trust me, it's very easy to say "fusk it" when not only can you not figure out how to make your damn emulator work, but when you get some annoying fanboy asking "When's it gonna work, I wanna play xxx game!!!111." On more than one occasion, the developers at MAME have stopped working on things because of this.

Basically, all I'm saying is that the MAME is incredibly difficult to make run, least of all, on a PS2 which is incredibly hard to develop for. In other works, if it doesn't work and the developers don't plan on working on it anymore, then it's NEVER going to work, unless you yourself decide to make it work.

I'm not flaming or anything... just, if enough people read this, less people will get frustrated with things not working right, and developers will get less crap for doing work for free.

7. MrGospel

MrGospel Member

Thank you so much so i can play mame on my ps2 with XMAME and use a dvd disk

by the way im sure there is a gba emu for ps2

8. dandadub

dandadub Member

can you use the swap magic 3.6 cd method rather than modifying your ps2 for this ps2mame emulator to work?

9. jfar_22

jfar_22 Guest

I did follow all of your guides dudes,when i tried to change and edit system.cnf and i click the image button it seems some conflict on the LBA. Whats suppose to be the problem? Any help?

10. Gerinych

Gerinych Member

i'm having an error with making the bin file.
    After I do all this, I press on IMG, and:
    "Error in LBA in subtable 22 y 7"
    "In file PS2MAME.ELF LBA's 28967 30842"
    "it collides with file MK3.ZIP LBA's 18890 28967"

Here's a list of roms, if than helps:
    KINST
    KINST2
    MK
    MK2
    MK3
    MK4
    SOULCLBR
    SOULEDGE
    TEKKEN
    TEKKEN2
    TEKKEN3
    TEKTAGT
    UMK3
    VF
    VF2
    VF3
    VFKIDS
    VFREMIX

Is it possible because the program is glitched or is is Vista's fault. Last time I did that with SNES Station on Windows XP, everything worked fine. Now I have CDGENPS2 from a Spanish PS2 utilities pack I picked up from eMule.
    Without LBA fix it seems to make the image only I don't want to burn it or I'll screw up the disk.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  11. NeoZeRo35

NeoZeRo35 Member

To those getting the black screen with blue borders, have you figured out how to fix this problem? At first I thought it was because I forgot to put the gamelist in caps, but I'm still getting the same problem. I've wasted 3 cd's so far and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

12. comminup

comminup Regular member

has anyone gotten this to work......? is so what games did u use, modchip or swap magic, dvd-r or cd-r?

13. NeoZeRo35

NeoZeRo35 Member

Ok. So I got it working, but now after a rom loads the final thing it asks me to do is to type OK. How am I supposed to do that on a PS2 controller? I'd understand if this was still on my PC, but it's not. Did I do something wrong? Maybe wrong version of the PS2 MAME emulator?

14. comminup

comminup Regular member

if this mame is like the others you should be able to load the game by pressing the control pad letf then right, or it may be right then left, or you can type ok. but that only works on mame for the pc...... but im quite sure it will work on the ps2 as well. let me knoe it that works as i have yet to get mine onto a dvd-r. im still waiting for someone to do it with success.

15. kimononon

kimononon Member

Hi,

Someone already asked the question, but no one answered...

Will this MAME EMULATOR method work if I'm using Swap Magic?

Thanks
    Kim

16. kimononon

kimononon Member

It's been a while, but I'm still hoping to get an answer...

Will this MAME EMULATOR method work with Swap Magic?

Thanks!

Kim

17. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Please remember, guys... the MAME port for PS2 is a proof-of-concept demo. Most games are unplayably slow, and quite a lot more simply don't work...

Also, note the fact that there was only ONE release of this, and it has not been worked on since... So, it's pretty much dead as it stands.

So, while the instructions are certainly not flawed (indeed, this is how you would load something up like this) if the games don't load, there's really not all that much you can do about it.

And yes, this should work for Swap Magic. Not so sure if it'll work for 2.0, but it should work with Swap Magic 3 and up.

18. JOEJOEYJO

JOEJOEYJO Guest

I have made exactly 8 coasters trying to burn a ps2 mame dvd. Over and over again, black screen blue borders. Followed instructions to the t, can anyone help, or am I just out of luck. Im a old skool playa and would really like to get a good ps2 mame dvd playing.

19. XdjxedxdX

XdjxedxdX Regular member

awsome right up even if its a bit old heh .Finally found why i couldnt add roms to the iso of this i found lol.Didnt know only 30 roms would fit i was trying to load all 1600 that i had then figured well if i make it a dvd thattl work heh again no. LOL
    So my question is has anyone since then found a ps2 emu that can fit more then 30 roms on it id hate to have to make 53 discs just to get all my games LMAO.

20. jimmyfoz

jimmyfoz Member

Hi evy1,
    I followed the destructions and have a disk with the appropriate files on them, but my ps2 will not recognise the disk. ps2 is chipped. Does this mean that my laser is stuffed? It is one of the older style ps2's.