1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 MAME EMULATOR guide here

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ps2hacka, May 8, 2006.

1. deathdie

deathdie Member

please help out wit dis dumb question.

do u need a "modded - chip - ps2" to run the Mame disc?

thanx

cause if u do i gotta go git one

2. jimmyfoz

jimmyfoz Member

you need to have a modchip ps2 to run the mame disc, or use swap magic etc. you may need to try a few different disc brands and/or burning utility/ies before you find the right one for your ps2

3. deathdie

deathdie Member

thanx a lot man, i'm gonna look into it!!!! can't wait!!! another random question: has anybody here experienced 'slow' games, or is the ps2 pretty much capable of running roms flawlessly? I'm thinking higher end games such as the more modern capcom titles.
    thanx!

4. jimmyfoz

jimmyfoz Member

deathdie, if you look back through this entire thread you'll get the information you are wanting, but it will run some games nicely, and other games poorly.

5. Zero149

Zero149 Member

6. cushphil

cushphil Member

Hello helpful people, I am having a bit of trouble, After I downloaded the ps2mameemu and tried to unrar it it all extracts fine except for the "ps2mame.elf" which it says is corrupt no matter how many times I try it, any ideas??? or is there an alternative download? Cheers learned people.

7. cushphil

cushphil Member

aRGGGHHHH, OK so I solved the last issue, Burned the cue image to cd-r disc popped it in my modbo chipped PS2 and it loads fine up to where a black splash screen with www.ps2newz.net is on there and it wont load any further I followed the guide to the letter, A little help please??

I really really want to play Shinobi again :(

8. hursty

hursty Active member

maybe that game isnt compatible with the mame emu
    you can try just using the one rom,instead of using a few,(thats if you havent tried it already
    other than that,i dont know

9. cushphil

cushphil Member

OK I will try that, Are you saying that if one ROM is corrupt the whole disc won't work??? Cheers, Also can you use cd-rw? as I am making coasters left right and center lol :)

10. cushphil

cushphil Member

Ok, I have made further findings, So I worked out that it is the ps2 emu that is at fault like I said when I unrard it, it said the file was corrupt so the way I bypassed this was to unrar it anyways faults included so thats why i think it didn't work, I have since tried a sega/ps2 emu and can play sega genesis games, But I really wabt to play mame roms, any other ideas why my laptop would tell me the file is corrupt as other people on here have obviously made it work?? Or is there another ps2mame emu that someone knows of??? Thanks again :)

11. hursty

hursty Active member

try downloading another rom from somewhere else

you shouldnt really use cd-rw

12. jdrake

jdrake Guest

I appreciate the idea of getting MAME to work on a PS2 but to save many the headaches they seem to be experiencing trying to get anything to work, I recommend you stop trying and spend the cash on games like Atari Anthology, Activision Anthology, Taito Legends, Taito Legends 2, Capcom Classics Volume 1 and Capcom Classics Volume 2, Namco 50th Anniversary and the like. You may not get all the games you want but the games work and you won't find yourself making coaster after coaster trying to get a handful of games to work. Sometimes you just gotta spend the money. I don't work for any game company - but maybe if enough of us kept buying these retro game packages, they'll keep making them.

13. broryku

broryku Member

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!! i´ve just tried everything, but something i still don't understand is what(cue,bin or else) file is the one that I have to burn. also when I try to change the LBA says something's wrong

thanks

14. MVPDJ1

MVPDJ1 Member

Broryku, the CUE file.....is simply the medium used to burn.....the BIN file..in other words, dont worry about the BIN file! Lol Just burn the CUE file like PS2Hacka says (where the hell is he anyways?) You should also download/buy alcohol 120 so you can follow the instructions to the "T"....apart from that i cant help you. MAKE SURE YOURE FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS CLOSELY!!!!

15. broryku

broryku Member

thanks for the help, but theres something wierd about these.. since it's the first time im using "alcohol 120" I cant change the speed to 4x (the speed available go from 16x to 63x) and the worst thing is it doesnt burn at all it just keeps me waiting :(, if I use the Nero program i must follow the same steps? thanks in advance

16. MVPDJ1

MVPDJ1 Member

Hmm, it seems you have burner issues...The 16x and 36x are DVD read speeds so you should check your settings and make sure its on CD. If that doesn't work try this, load your CD-r into the drive (w/out alcohol open). Wait for the CD to load inside, then open up alcohol. Add your .cue or .ccd file and then hit next...It SHOULD go to the final burn screen with MAXIMUM as the default read setting...hit the drop down and select 4x.
    I'll include an image here..
    [​IMG]

NOTE:If you are burning a PSX game you should use a cd-R and make sure its on playstation (bottom left where it says DATATYPE)
    IF you are on the other hand burning a PS2 game you MUST use a DVD(DVD-r preferably) and of course change the datatype to PS2.
    I know you are comfortable with nero and so was i but you will notice NERO does not have the PSX and PS2 datatype option which i like. Im not too sure if it makes much of a difference though...

17. cab1020

cab1020 Member

Hello I'm new here and Every time I try to make an image it says "error ps2mame.elf collides with kinst2 lba" so then I changed the ps2mame.elf's lba and then a new one popped up saying "error sjpcm.irx collides with vsav lba so I changed that to.I burned the .cue file using img burn at 4x speed and then I booted it up with swap magic and after the www.ps2newz.net logo pos up all I see is a black screen with blue borders.Alot of people have had the same problems.P.S.I wrote down the lba before i changed the system.cnf's lba so that the .elf and the .irx had their same lba's before I changed the .cnf's lba.Please help I really want to play mvsc.

18. cab1020

cab1020 Member

I've finally made a disc without changing anything but when I burnt it I got the black screen again so I did the exact same thing I did last time all over again in cdgen and this time it said that shinobi's lba collided with mame.elf.I don't get it why did it create the image right the first time and not the second please help.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  19. cab1020

cab1020 Member

OK,I've finally made a mame disc but when I go to load the the roms it says loading for like 1 second and then it goes back to the main menu please respond quickly I need help

20. Wonkimus

Wonkimus Member

To anyone getting the black screen/blue border: I wasted about half a dozen discs before I realized what the problem was. When I saw what it was, I felt like a total moron: I'd spelled one of the game names wrong on the gamelist file! Doh!