1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 MAME EMULATOR guide here

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ps2hacka, May 8, 2006.

1. ehamm13

ehamm13 Regular member

This is the easiest way to burn it and work.

Open Nero
    SELECT DVD UDF/ISO
    Put the files and ROM folder in.
    BURN AT 4x

Now I know that some do and some don't.
    Does anyone know if this is intented for certain dates?
    (ie games produced before 90's?

2. Wonkimus

Wonkimus Member

From what I understand, this was just made as a proof-of-concept type thing, and hasn't been worked on since this version. So basically, they made a version that works to show it can be done and that was it.

I've made a few more CD's of this and from my experience so far, the only games that work smoothly are the early 80's games...I had Time Fighter 84 and Super Pac Man running and playable. Later games run with considerable slowdown and aren't really playable. Even Terra Cresta (from 85!) was very slow.

You can actually make a CD with more than 30 games if you unzip them and put each game in its own folder in the ROMS folder in place of the zipped files...thing is, you can't scroll down the list page by page like with emu's such as PGEN and IMBNES. You literally have to scroll down each game name one by one...so if you make a disc with hundreds of games it might take you a while to get to Zaxxon...

3. lolo11

lolo11 Member

ps2 is has limitations

if your trying to load capcom fighters and neogeo roms forget about it

mame ps2 is for very old games flike for example atari and early 80s

4. Zero149

Zero149 Member

Thx You Guys. Your Advice has been great.
    I'm gonna go see if they have space invaders.
    lol

5. lolo11

lolo11 Member

invaders donkeykong popeye those arcades

runs good

6. Wonkimus

Wonkimus Member

Yeah. I'm basically using this for games not available on any of the PS2 compilations like Taito Legends and Namco Museum. Sure, I can play them on Mame on my computer, too, but I prefer to play games sitting on the couch than hunched over the keyboard!

7. Wonkimus

Wonkimus Member

One thing I can't figure out on this thing...is there any way to go back to the main menu when you are playing a game...or is the only way to do it by resetting each time you want to change games?

8. cab1020

cab1020 Member

You Have To Reset Your Ps2 Every Time (It Sucks Huh?)
    Oh and Final Questions Before I get Over This Thread It's Like Three Years Old Do You Think I could Get BattleToads Working On This?Also If This Emulator Can't Handle 2D Capcom Fighters,Why did The Author Of This Guide Use Soul Calibur As An Example?

9. lolo11

lolo11 Member

SOULCALIBUR won't work ... what i know is a 3d game sometimes mame for the pc doesn't even load the rom . i have no idea why he put that game on the list maybe he wants attention.

lies! from that guy

10. kaz321123

kaz321123 Newbie

Ok, last response to this thread was 2009, but I feel compelled to help out here.

First off, use the guide listed here to make the iso (use cdgen), set lba to 12231 etc. etc.
    Your roms MUST be named correctly! Use caps, and remember there is a character limit.

Ok, then use the program, USBExtreme to install this iso to a hard drive.

You can either plug this external hard drive into the ps2 (or flash drive), or share it over a network-using a crossover cable. This flash drive must be formatted to fat32.

Load up OPL version 8 (recommended), and make sure to enable USB in settings (or ETH if using crossover cable).

Your mame iso should show up in the list, and launch it :)

Left analog stick pressed in goes back to the selection screen. This mame version is pretty quick with the interfaces. It plays pac-man/ms pac-man, games like that flawlessly. The frameskip is at 0 (so it plays these at 100%).

This is the only known way I can think of to play Donkey Kong (arcade perfect). So it is worth the effort just for that game alone. Don't try to play games that were made after let's say about 1983ish.

So don't try Altered Beast or Street fighter, and it definitely won't do mortal kombat rofl.

-Alpha

11. kaz321123

kaz321123 Newbie

I do wonder if this supports samples, cuz donkey kong is missing some sounds. I might try making another iso with samples.

12. kaz321123

kaz321123 Newbie

The romset for this version of mame is .37b15 I believe.