1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Media for V4

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by CAR8624, Dec 31, 2004.

1. CAR8624

CAR8624 Regular member

What is the best media should I stick for PS2 backup? Here's what I've used so far:

TDK [DVD-R]
    RitekG04 [DVD-R]
    TY [DVD-R]
    MCC [DVD-R]

-I am looking for a media that works with GTA: San Andreas. TY skips/loads a lot, RitekG04 is decent but have loading problems. MCC does not work with my PS2 for some reason.

Please help. Should I stick to RitekG04? And if so which brand [if there's any in US stores] or which online store?

2. beltline

beltline Regular member

Ritek Ridata branded makes the G04. If they're working, stick with them. Just be sure to stay with the 4x-R. 8x switches to G05.

Online stores that sell Ritek

www.meritline.com

www.supermediastore.com

www.rima.com

3. rapiddevi

rapiddevi Member

yes i agree ritek g04 is best for ps2 games.
    make sure you get -'s though as version 4 is fairly early
    if they dont work i would seriously consider changing your burner!
    it doesnt seem to have had much sucess so far with some good brands mmentioned....

good luck

4. havingfun

havingfun Member

I have PS2 ver4 and used following DVDRs successfully: Verbatim 4X DVD+R, SONY 4X DVD-R, Maxwell 4X DVD-/+R. Some PS2 ver4 doesn't read DVD+R but fortunately my PS2 read DVD+R fine. However, I tried some no name cheap store brand DVD-,+R without much success, it reads only about once every ten tries. Generally game console DVD drive is very picky about what media they can read. My stand alone Denon dvd player plays these cheap media just fine with copied dvd movies.

5. uLie

uLie Member

Hey CAR,

I have the EXACT situation as you. I managed to burn games like Burnout 3 and MGS3 and they work perfectly but GTA:SA is different. Here is the media i have tried that HAS NOT WORKED.I also have V4 PS2.

1.All Memorex - lol
    2.Maxell DVD-r 4x (MXL RG02)
    3.Verbatim DVD-r 4x (MCC 01RG20)

I have heard Ritek G04's work the best, and I was wondering what you meant by "RitekG04 is decent but have loading problems". The problems I have are things not loading or loading extremely slow like buildings, streets, walls, were the game is very annoying and unplayable. Does Ritek G04 do that too?

6. CAR8624

CAR8624 Regular member

[[The problems I have are things not loading or loading extremely slow like buildings, streets, walls, were the game is very annoying and unplayable. Does Ritek G04 do that too?]]

Yes - that's the loading problem I have. However my original game [and most likely everyone's original game], it has the same loading problems too [like trees, streets, walls pop up later on]. But the burnt copy is a little worst [but a little tolerable] with loading times. THat's why I said it's sucky with Loading time [Ritek G04].

Best bet is go with Ritek G04. But I haven't seen any other DVD-R media that would best with GTA:SA.

Don't try the listed DVD-R Media I have tested. =P

=>CAR8624

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Hi GanG - I don't game but Grandson #1 has PS-2 not sure which version ? Does it matter which brand or Type DVD-R or DVD+R I use for movie backups so he can Play them on his Ps-2? Assuming that the media burns well on my Nec's to start with ? What do you think? Peace - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grampz

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  8. beltline

beltline Regular member

Best to stick with -R. Older versions will only read -R.

9. Marvo

Marvo Member

Hi,
    I have a Version 4 with the gap bios. I've used 4X TDKs, 4X Maxells, and 8X Ritek G05s, all with no problems. I always use -r's. The burner I use is a Pioneer 107d. I always max my burn speed but if you're experiencing skipping or bad reads, try a slower burn speed.
    Peace and Good Luck.

10. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

before i buy any media to bak up ps2 games r TDK DVD-RS any good for a version 5/6 ps2? because my friends selling som diffrent kinds of makes but this waz the best make he had. ther cheeper then if i buy them in the shops.
    wat do u guys think?

11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

THanks you guys I have some TDK's I will use those for next movie I bring him (Grandson #1) and will let you know if they work out . Daughter & son in law have Apex 1010W like me to play movies and mine plays anything short ceiling tiles -just kidding but will play almost anykind of media though. But the kid likes his PS-2 for watching movies & of course playing games. Tnanx again ever so much everyone ! Enjoy & peace

12. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

do purple bottemed dvd-rs damege the ps2 lense?