1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 might have shorted

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by kg2k7, Feb 1, 2008.

1. kg2k7

kg2k7 Member

i was fixing my ps2 because of a disc read error so i took off the covers and followed the some instructions on the internet. in the process of dissasembling it i was carelss and ripped the power ribbon out. i put it back in but it kept slipping out. anyway it worked!!! i was so exiced that i began playing it without the covers. DUMB A**!! while i was playing, i pulled the controller and ripped out controller ribbon. yeah i know. i left the ps2 on because i thought i could squeeze it in like the power ribbon but while i was pushing it in, the disc tray ejected for no reason then the power shut off. NOW, i got the controllers back in but the disc tray wont go back in and keeps flashing the blue light. WHAT DO I DO!!!

2. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Check all the smd fuses on the motherboard, if it shorted, repairing it will be difficult, depending on how extensive the damage was.

3. kg2k7

kg2k7 Member

thans for responding but where are the fuses at and how will i know if i blew them, and what can i do if something's happened ?? btw my ps2 comes on, would it if the fuses blew?

4. KMK

KMK Regular member

We need to know what version ps2 you have to show you where the fuses are.

You need to test them with a mulimeter. Set it on ohms(or continuity) and put each probe of the meter on the solder points of the fuse. (each side the fuse) If you do not see ohms (just stays at 1 or 0) or the continuity ring feature doesn't go off, the fuse is bad and needs to be replaced.

The fact that the ps2 is on just shows that the power supply is ok. (it also has fuses on it) So the next thing to check would be the mother board.

Tell us what version ps2 you have and we can help further.

5. kg2k7

kg2k7 Member

i think i have a version 4 ps2 it says scph 3001 on the back
    and has 8 screws on the bottom