1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 mod on HDTV w NTSC/PAL still black and white

Discussion in 'PS2' started by sikes8402, Dec 1, 2007.

1. sikes8402

sikes8402 Member

Wish I could tell you the chip I have but I got this slim silver ps2 while I was in Iraq. Over there of course it played fine then when I got to the states I had SDtv and it was of course in black and white. I got this new Sony Aquos tv and under color options you can have on auto ntsc pal-m or pal-l. I played this Shinobido in color without trouble but I tried 3 other games that if color option is auto they will flicker I guess youd say on game for a second then black screen, if you choose ntsc it is black and white off center, pal-m black and white centered, pal-L black and white has a black bar toward the bottom of the screen. I have the ps2 connected with an S-video cable. Any ideas???

2. tim6630

tim6630 Member

you mean that the 3 games you tried worked fine in Iraq,and now they are black and white in the States.this looks interesting.

where did you buy the Shinobido game? from Iraq or States?

3. sikes8402

sikes8402 Member

All the games are from Iraq and yes they worked fine in iraq because I played them on a tv from iraq. I think I know why the auto setting makes them flicker and that because none of the settings work right so its constantly trying to set the right one but why none of the 3 ntsc pal-m and pal-l dont work. It confuses me as well i thought it was the cables so I switch to the s-video and then I thought it was the pal ntsc thing til I saw the options on the tv so now I have no idea and then when the one game worked perfect but the others didnt I cant figure out why Ill have to experiment with the other games I have from there which is like 50-100 so I would like to figure this out.

4. tim6630

tim6630 Member

what is the type of the 3 games working in black and white?

are they ntsc or pal? also what the type of the Shinobido ntsc or pal?

5. sikes8402

sikes8402 Member

All the games should be the same format they are all the ones I got from Iraq. So which ever they use I believe its pal but I dunno. Anyway they are all the same all from the same place and everything.

6. tim6630

tim6630 Member

look,I have a sony SDtv.there are 2 types of pal systems 1st:pAL and the 2nd is PAL 60 also there are 2 types of ntsc systems 1st:NTSC 3.58 and 2nd is NTSC 4.43 and this problem happened to me before we buy the new SDtv which include all the above systems.

so from my knowledge,i never seen a pal system problem because a the PAL used is almost the same in the world.

i think that you have a NTSC color system problem,if you have the Sony Aquos tv manual check all the color systems that the tv supports and tell me.(not in the tv options,tell me what is written in the manual)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  7. sikes8402

sikes8402 Member

In the manual the only place I see talking about the color system has the same option as the tv option menu and they are auto, NTSC, PAL-M, and PAL-N I said L in previous post but that was a mistake. It also goes to say that color system can only be set for input 1 Video, input 2, and input 3. The S-video is input 3 and I also tried just disconnecting the S-video part and running on input 1 as just the component part which is the red yellow and white cables. Didnt work. The only other thing I see is that Ill have to try later cause I am getting ready for work is AV mode you can set to game which says it lowers image brightness for easier viewing and the enhance picture contrast is off so maybe this is something Ill let you know. Going under the ps2 setting itself there are two option RGB and Y C something which should that be on the Y I think because looking at the tv RGB is input 6 and looks like a computer cable.

8. tim6630

tim6630 Member

ok,there is an idea that can work.you can buy an RF adapter for the ps2 you can find it in any ps2 store and it will not cost much.
    (make sure that NTSC-PAL is written on it and that the adapter inclueds the three component output YELLO,WHITE,RED)and if you didnt find adapter with component output,you will have to use the 1st connection method below.

now you have 2 connection options,1st connect the ps2 with the tv by the RF output to use the ps2 as a cable channle,(you can choose a free channel on tv no.7 for example and then scan the frequency until you see the ps2 picture)

2nd to use the component output in the adapter and connect it to the tv in video 1 or 2 as you like.(which will be more good for picture)

the idea of the adapter is that it solves any color system problem that can lead to a black and white picture,i used it and it was great until we bought the new tv.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  9. sikes8402

sikes8402 Member

Ready to be confused, I noticed on ShinoBido it says it is PAL and Black is pal and the MIB and Castlevania are NTSC. Well both ShinoBido and Black play in color if color setting is Auto but if you put them on NTSC Pal-N or M they are black and white. Neither of NTSC come in color on any setting and auto makes them flicker and you cant use controller or remote to do anything. I am totally lost but I guess Ill look through and play the ones with Pal on them if it is written and be able to play them in color as for the rest I guess black and white or nothin. It cant be the cables I dont think

10. tim6630

tim6630 Member

now it is clear,the pal games are working and ntsc games are black and white because non of the color systems on tv support the ntsc games you have.(there are 2 kind of ntsc,if not the same on both it will be black and white)

the only way to be able to play the NTSC games in colors is to buy the RF adapter for ps2 to make the picture into pal and then connect it to tv as i said.so you can have fun forever.

11. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

hey sorry if I interfered you but I think all the NTSC tvs support both NTSC methods. one I had which is obsolete now for almost 10 years also supported PAL and NTSC. with full color and all.
    You say your console is from Iraq and so are the games. as far as
    I am concerned Iraq used to have SECAM-H. Now Iraqw runs PAL So
    what my guess is that, its not you TV and games, but console.
    which is modded, may be it the modchip which has been set to
    FORCE PAL. so NTSC games are being rendered in PAL and so are black & white.

12. sikes8402

sikes8402 Member

Ok but then why in Iraq would they have still played in color? Any idea on how to fix this if that were the case. The tv I bought in Iraq was from the PX a Hitachi but I dont know its color settings just that Affes usually gets tvs for the region they are in. I havent had time to get the RF cable yet so I havent tested the last idea to fix it.

13. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

why dont you try holding down various button while your console is booting. eg. triangle, R1, L1, square...and so on. (one at a time.
    you may get to a debug menu or something of the modchip.
    from there you may be able to make changes ulness your modchip is a clone.