1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ps2 Modchip magic 3.6 issues

Discussion in 'PS2' started by EazyLidz, Feb 15, 2003.

1. EazyLidz

EazyLidz Guest

when i install the chip set....is there a special way that i have to boots up...and with the chip in...is it supposed to have the same start up screen as before? Because when i turn it on i get nothing on the screen...and with the clip...they sent me a tester...when i use the tester on the chip...what am`i supposed to look for...how can i tell my install was a success?
    I have a V5/V6 boardand got the magic 3.6 from console corner...and did i ruine my board...lol

Thnx
    EazyLidz

2. spunjee

spunjee Guest

I have kinda the same problem as Eazy. I installed the Magic 3.6 chip into my PS2v7 but it did not ruin my PS2 that I'm aware of, it just doesn't do anything that it didn't do before. The scary part is, I also got my chip from the-console-corner.com and he was of no help. Should I send the chip back for a replacement, or start a class-action suit? :p

3. EazyLidz

EazyLidz Guest

I would Return for magic 3.1...honestly i think the magic 3.6 it`s jus a faulty design...the chip clip leaves to much room for error..my machine i have lost all function... i have no sound or video...i think i pressed down to hard on the chip clip and might have damaged my board..when you installed your m 3.6...did you test the chip clip circs?...and how does your respond can you play games and what not...mine won`t even bring up the browser window with out anything in it....i`m tryin to determin if there`s a way to save the motherboard...any help would b great...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2003
  4. spunjee

spunjee Guest

My PS2 still seems to work flawlessly. I checked the clip with the tester they included with the chip and every connection seems to be ok. The PS2 does everything it does when I bought it, I just can't play copies.

5. spunjee

spunjee Guest

Just to let everyone know:
    My Modified PS2v7 is now working correctly and playing backups using the Magic 3.6. It seems I was testing the chip clip while all connections were already made and this does not work. You must disconnect the clip wires prior to testing.

Note to Eazy: The soldered connections are very small, double-check all solder points using a good diagram. The installation is not an easy one, I've used three diagrams and have taken my ps2 apart 4 times!

6. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

I haven't confirmed this myself but my PS2 backups seem to only boot if I start from a powered-down standby and then hit reset. IE if I put the PS2 into standby mode by holding down the reset button, backups won't work.

This isn't confirmed by me but a hunch.

What else? I would try burning a CD-RW backup as a test because there's less room for error on the copying side.

7. EazyLidz

EazyLidz Guest

ok what does the ps2 look like in stand by as far as the lights and what not...i think mine might be starting in stand by mode

8. satan!

satan! Member

In stand by the top LED should be red, the bottom LED should be off. When you switch it on either by pressing the reset button or by ejecting and closing the tray the red light will become green and the bottom light will be blue [or maybe its other way round].

Anyway thats that, oh yeah to get to standby hold reset down untill red LED is on.

Hope i helped...
    satan!

9. c7015

c7015 Regular member

yeah when you turn on the ps2(main power switch at the back) it starts in standby one red led

and you can get to it when it is on by holding down reset in game ect..

10. sounddr

sounddr Guest

so spunjee - you unpluged the cable from the clip - tested and got a red light on the tester at the lettered points - then pluged the cable back in and it worked right? - also which final diagram was right - the 1 where the S wire connects to both resistors - the 5v wire does it connect to the soldier point on the board or 1 of the 3 fingers of that transistor....

11. sounddr

sounddr Guest

also im assuming you didnt get a red light on all lettered points when you pulled your cable off - did you just pull the clip off and stick it back on again to get the tester to say all good or did you have to bend some prongs out or what

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2003
  12. warren007

warren007 Member

I have just installed my chip today, the chip didnt click in but i just carried on gently squeezing it down untill it fely frimly in position.

Thereafter I found that all my PS1 games that a friend backed up for me on TDK worked fine Im not sure what software he used, but the rest of the ones that I backed up with Adaptec did not work.

To get the PS2 to see the games, I placed a game in the tray, closed it, switched it off then back on to get standby, (can hold power button to get stanby as well), then held down the reset button until the ejet(blue) light came on and it saw the game. To alternate any more PS1 games I simply pressed eject, changed the disk and then the reset button once.(without holding down)

It seems you only have to put it into this mode once at the begining

If anyone else has had problems playing some games backuped with Adaptec please let me know. What I dont understand is that all the games work in my chipped PS1???

13. sounddr

sounddr Guest

well..i removed the click chip put it back in without the cable attached and got it to where the test clip lights up on all of the lettered spots..but now there is no video!! i can put one of my original games and the disc spins up and continues to play but a backup spins up and stops - but either way no video..anyone help here

14. spunjee

spunjee Guest

Sorry I was slacking. The +5V wire I soldered to the prong on the transistor. I have seen other diagrams showing it in a different spot, but they are both probably +5V. I have seen a diagram where the arrow seems to bridge the two capacitors, but the correct way is to just solder the S wire to the tan capacitor. When I originally tested the clip and it was on the chip, all contacts lit. When I removed the cable, I found that only about half were actually making contact. I just took the clip off and then reattached it, then the tester showed the correct connections were ok. I did not have to actually modify or bend anything on the clip. Most of the games I get are on CD, the only DVD I've done is on DVD+R with an HP DVD200i and using Alcohol 120% but it works perfect. I have found that I'm no longer about to play audio CD's but screw it.

15. Neosum

Neosum Member

I have a magic 3.6 chip and a v7 ps2 console.

Installation is a little tricky though. Had to double check to make sure there were no shorts, and that all points were properly soldered and electricity was flowing.

Beyond the installation, I have booted all ps1, ps2 games and backups, including dvd movies. I've burned games at 4x using Ritek Go4 media and it runs great on my ps2.

If you're having problems, I'll bet 99% of the time it has something to do with your installation. Go back, double check, and you'll find the problem.

16. spike66

spike66 Member

I just installed the magic 3.6 on a version 7 console. The 1st time I turned it on, it acted normal (played originals, etc.) but would not play my backups. I took it apart and checked all of the conections, and found that my clip was not well connected. I cannot get a connection on all of the pins. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

17. TheMike68

TheMike68 Member

I also was getting the red screen on the back up games but origonals were working fine...so i went back and made sure that all the clip pins were testing on and q was not...i checked the bottom of the the clip and the pin for q was pushed back far enough that it wouldn't make a connection. I pried it forward and stuck the clip back on the bios chip and got a solid light on the tester...however, now i get no video or audio output... i can flip the ps2 on and the red light comes on and then i hit it and the blue light comes on like normal BUT no output...any clue what could have caused this...is it possible to fit that clip on the bios and connect to the wrong pin? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

18. TheMike68

TheMike68 Member

Oh, and i was wondering...should all the pins be connected with the tester light coming on or just the lettered pins...and if i can't get them all to connect...could this cause my problem?

thanx
    mike

19. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

I have a 3.6 in a V3Pal. Works just fine for me, although, I did bin the clip as it turned out my V3 did'nt have the chip for it to go over (it would seem the v3pal is not the same as V3ntsc).
    Anyhow, I just used the 3.6 and did a proper solder install from the 3.1 diagram.

For PS2 I can just put a disc in the open tray and tap reset. For PS1/DVD power up with a hold till the blue light. 4sec sleep mode seems to work fine too.

So. The design of the 3.6 is fine (in that the chip is good), maybe it's just issues with the clip not being that robust.

20. TheMike68

TheMike68 Member

Well...I desoldered everything...the modchip is out completely and i still have the same problem i mentioned earlier...NO A/V...it's disturbing because i'm 2 classes away from having a degree in electrical engineering. I suppose i'll take it to the lab next week and hope that i can find a mistake and correct it.

BTW this forum rocks...i found a lot of information here that i wouldn't haven't found otherwise...even if it did lead to the destruction of my ps2...lol...

thanks
    Mike