1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 Modding Questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bcorz, Jul 12, 2007.

1. bcorz

bcorz Member

Hello,
    I know that I probably didn't look deep enough into your site, and for that I am sorry, but I have some questions. I am a broke college student who scratches his games ALL the time, so I don't want to buy new ones.

http://www.mod-chip.com/index-cart-us.php?go=en/select_ps2_main.htm
    This is the chip I am thinking about. I can get it cheaper elsewhere, but you got the idea

1. I am a total newb when it comes to soldering. I have done it once before in my life, and it was 5 years ago. Thus, I am wondering if solder the chip onto the ps2 is easy enough for me to do with little experiance and, if it isn't, the likelyhood that I can seriously mess up my ps2 to the point that it won't work anymore without or with the chip in it.

2. I play online games a lot, so will I still be able to do the same? Reading about this chip, it says it switches off after booting, so will I be able to go online with my games? Would I be able to do this with just the original disk or the backup also?

3. I don't know much about the format of ps2 games, but I would think that some of them are dual layered discs. I have a dual layer dvd writer, but would my ps2 be able to read them? Is there even dual layer ps2 discs?

4. Will my ps2 function normally as if there is no mod chip in there?

5. Any other problems I should look at?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

1. I would let a professional shop like Teammodders.com do it. You could seriously mess up your system if you are not careful.

2. Only the Crystal Chip V2.0 can auto patch a back up for online play. All other chips you will have to manually patch the game using the DNAS from the original disc

3. The DMS4 Pro SE is the only chip that will read DVD9 (dual layer) back up copoes without patching them. The Crystal Chip or Matrix Infinity Green Dot you will have to patch the ISO file with Toxic DL Patcher first before burning (not hard to do)

4.Yes, it will function normally.

5. With a quality chip like the 3 i mentioned above you should be on easy street. A good modchip is by far the best mod you can use for playing your back up games. You will also want to get a copy of DVD Decrypter to back games up from original discs and burn them to a blank DVD. Also make sure you get GOOD QUALITY DVD's, this is important. The cheapest good brand would be a Verbatim. I personally like the 8X DVD-R version.

3. CiroZ

CiroZ Member

MATRIX INFINITY GEEN DOT DOES PLAY DVD9 BACK UPS YOU JUST HAVE TO CHANGE IT IN THE MATRIX SET PAGE WHEN YOU TURN ON PS2 HOLD THE X AND TRIANGLE BUTTONS.. IT COMES TURNED OFF(DEFUALT SETTINGS)AND I NEVER HAD TO PATCH THE ISO FILE WITH TOXIC DL OR ANY THING LIKE IT

4. steimy

steimy Active member

It must have been in the newer firmware updates because they did not use to play DVD9 at all.
    Either way, take off your caps locks as it is not only considered shouting at people in a forum, but against forum rules as well.

5. raiderj

raiderj Regular member

Another vote for letting Team Modders or NorCal Mods do the soldering work. It's not worth all the work to do the modding yourself if you just need one system modded.