1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 No Longer Loads Any Games

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Funkycol, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Funkycol

Funkycol Member

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me figure out what might be the problem with my PS2. I have a Model: SCPH-50001.

When I load any disk (CD, DVD, PS1 game, PS2 DVD) it spins and goes to the browser/system configuration screen. After a minute or two the drive starts clicking a few times as it spins. After about six or seven minutes the disk stops spining and when I go to the browser screen it says "disk read error".
    I've tried cleaning the the inside with a hair blower and q-tips dipped in alcohol to clean the fan and lens.
    I've also tried to adjusting the two white wheels behind the laser by moving them about four clicks and testing each position but it's basically the same.

I can see the laser light on and the lens going up and down while the tray is opened with the covers removed.

Any one have any ideas?

2. escalante

escalante Regular member

never mind, i"m in the wrong forum.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  3. kcwells

kcwells Regular member

well, it very much sounds like you laser is dead, just because the light comes on does not mean that it is not gone, i have had this 2 or 3 times, just like you said, the laser would move up and down and all,

you could try cleaning the laser lens with q-tip and alcohol if you haven't already, but it might be time for a new laser. especially if it is modded.

4. Funkycol

Funkycol Member

Thanks Kcwells. My unit is not modded. I use Magic Swap 3.6. I'm wondering if after using the slider, if that messed up the laser somehow.

5. Funkycol

Funkycol Member

How can I be sure if it's the laser? I don't want to spend money on that and it winds up being something else.