1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 noise problems.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mmj, Jan 6, 2005.

1. mmj

mmj Member

Hello everyone,

My PS2 has problems and I wish to seek your opinions on the matter.

For the past month or so my PS2 has had problems when first switched on after a long time being off. What happens is I switch it on, insert the disk, close the tray and then as the disc attempts to load there is an uncomforably loud grinding/scratching noise, but it is not the disc being scratched at all (my first instinct).

After about 30secs of struggling to read the game and making this noise, I press reset and then it will then boot fine (ive been playing San Andreas all the time recently), it will then play it non-stop all day quietly and not a disc read error in sight.

Now I am thinking that I need a new one of these:
    http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_64&products_id=419

My PS2 is a V5/6 and about 2yrs old so I am thinking it is very likely this thing that is playing up, but before ordering I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with their PS2 and what they did to fix it? or maybe just confirm my suspicions.

Summary:

> Switch it on first time each day.
    > Dodgy sounds for about 30secs and sometimes not read the game (sometimes does but still noisy for a few secs).
    > A few resets later it works like a champ all day.

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

if it is a buzzing noise then you are correct my friend. it is this arm slipping on the worm gear. a replacement should solve your problems.

3. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

PS £10 is too expensive. look on ebay and ull get one for £3

4. mmj

mmj Member

Ok thanks a lot Gazza mate, I will have a gander on ebay then.

Don't you think it's interesting that it only does it for less than a minute, then is fine all day long?

Does it get more grip as it warm up or something?

Cheers! :)

5. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

got it in one. its all about inertia. its harder to get something moving than keepin i movuing. put some lubrication on the laser axles and the worm gear o help i move easier. may solve your problem without havin o replace the guide arm. i use cookeen cooking fat o lubricate mine. apply it wih a coton bud. clean the laser with a clan bud while oure there.

6. mmj

mmj Member

Ok thanks for the great advice mate.

It seems to have died totally today, as it just keeps making the noise over and over, it's probably worn.

I will try to pick one up off ebay sometime this week and then update this thread with my results.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  7. mmj

mmj Member

Hi Gazza mate.

Just got a minor update for ya!

This afternoon I looked inside my PS2 (making sure to avoid exposior to the laser), it does indeed look as though the laser arm is worn.

The laser arm is just bouncing up and down (making the noise) as the worm gear turns.

I have ordered one from ebay and will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  8. mmj

mmj Member

I've just fitted new arm and my PS2 is working perfectly. :D

No more dodgy noises, hopefuly this thread will prove helpful to others in future.

Cheers Gazcoigne.

9. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

you're very welcome always glad to help.

10. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

the rods on either end of the laser probably need to be lubricated(just a thin layer), if you hear any clicking (strange sounds ect.) coming from the ps2, this will proabably fix the problem. The lubricate that is there when the unit was new that sony had on it probably has dried over time.

it doesnt cost as much and the arms slid across the rods, hence if these rods were dry they would cause such problems.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  11. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

have i not already said that?

12. bigfrosty

bigfrosty Guest

hi, i have been reading your threads on the subject of "clicking" and i have the same kind of problem, the only thing with mine is that it happens when you start the PS2 but doesnt stop clicking, then it wont read the disc at all (any disc). i read in another thread about the gear arm being metal on a certain version (how do you tell the difference in the versions), back to the clicking, it has a very regular rythm, in time with the disc spinning.my model number is SCPH-39003.
    this probually seems to you to be repeating the same questions asked by other newbies, but if i get it wrong my kids will KILL me.
    many thanks
    frosty

13. mmj

mmj Member

Hi bigfrosty,

Mine was like a scratcing noise and 2days before my new laser arm arrived it went totally (like yours), whereby it would no longer play anything and made the noise constantly.

If you want to make sure take your ps2 apart, when I fitted my new arm I could see that the problem was the laser arm not gripping on the worm gear and was just bouncing up and down causing the noise.

When opening it up you need to make sure the drive is ejected so you can see the laser arm etc. also you probably already know but avoid direct exposure to the laser (i just put the black plastic plate over it).

/done editing now. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  14. bigfrosty

bigfrosty Guest

well i guess it time to suck it and see
    many thanks

15. mmj

mmj Member

let us know how you get on mate.

16. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

if its a click every second or so its the laser lens popping up and down

if its a whir its the worm gear arm

17. bigfrosty

bigfrosty Guest

the clicking is really rapid click, click, click, ( 1 second) but continuous. i am going to get the new laser arm and see if that sorts it, from ebay.
    thank you very much for your help. i will update when done.

18. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

the arm will not sort it the sound is your laser not the arm so dont waste your time

19. bigfrosty

bigfrosty Guest

Ah, well in that case, does anyone wanna buy a new never used laser arm, now its off to find a laser (cheap) i take it its not to hard to replace a lsaer
    many thanks
    B.F

20. mmj

mmj Member

ah damn sorry mate, I thought you was going to open up your ps2 and see if it was the arm first. :(

You might as well hold onto it as a spare, from what i can tell ps2's are not built to last.