1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 not playing burned DVD games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Xeroti, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Xeroti

Xeroti Member

Hello, my PS2 has a modchip, it can run burnt games on CD, but not on DVD. It can run original DVD games though. I tried both DVD+R and DVD-R. Can anyone please help?

1. what brand and speed DVD did you use (like Sony 8X DVD-R)
    2. what did you program did you burn them with and at what speed
    3. what kind of modchip, because some have different modes you have to put the chip in for PS1 (CD) and PS2 (DVD) games
    4. have you tried updating your burners firmware to help with media compatibility and burn quality

1. I'm not sure, my dad burned some like a year ago, I think it was a NEC DVD-RW and the speed should be 3.5X, I have the same one now.

2. I burned them with Alcohol 120% on 3.5X or Nero..

3. Hmm, I really don't know.. How can I?

4. No, but I'll do it now.

And I also burned a game on DVD at my uncle, he has a PS2 too, it worked well on his PS2, but it didnt work on mine..

I tried to burn Naruto Ultimate Hero, on a Sony DVD+R Accucore, speed 2.4X, but it still isnt working :( It says ''Insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 disc''.

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Is your PS2 a slim or a fatty, and is your father's a slim or a fatty?

Also, a few other things. Have you tried using DVD Decryptor or IMGBurn? And as for extracting the files from a game and building an ISO, what programs have you experimented with? Also, booktyping to DVD-ROM, however, if your burner does this automatically, which it should do for Nero, then forget about this question. And btw, what modchip is it exactly? I'm sure steimy or someone could find out a lot more of what needs to be done if you knew what modchip you have.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. Xeroti

Xeroti Member

Both are fatty.

4. brad82

brad82 Member

Its gotta be the dvd's or the way your burning them. Try a dvd+r and use nero backup copy.

5. brad82

brad82 Member

wait.. haha nevermind.. I missed that...lol. OKay neways.. so are you getting a unable to read disc or the sony red sreen?

6. Xeroti

Xeroti Member

sony red screen

and i dont know which modchip i have :( i bought it with the modchip included

7. brad82

brad82 Member

Oh well the only chips I use are the DMS4 when I install. I have heard some chips you have to hold a button on start up. Sounds like the disk are reading and they are showing up as a valid ps2 game. Just its not authorizing it. I would try to find out the type of chip it is from the place you bought it from. Sometimes when the ps2 boots up to the playstation screen it may show Toxic or Matrix.. the crapper chips wont say nothing at all. Good luck man.. and try holding different buttons on start up.

8. Xeroti

Xeroti Member

I bought it from some guy on a Dutch type of Ebay, no chance of me finding him again, it was like 2 years ago. It doesnt show anything when booting, and I THINK it was a Messiah chip.

9. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Yep... you're better off with another modchip. I've heard of Messiah not being quite up to par with the DMS4 chips from what I've overheard. Even with those chips being a bit out of date of a few years, I've heard of people not having much problems playing the newer games either.

If you're interested, just this link I got from steimy (props to you again) http://www.teammodders.com/store/

I've been tempted to get a pre-modded system, but I haven't gotten the money nor the interest into investing in such a thing yet. But from what's been said and such about the site, your purchase there can be bought with a warranty and I believe it also comes with a free 30 day warranty because they guaranteed their installation is good quality and such from what I've heard.

On a side note, check under the PS2 Hardware boot Discussion I believe. There should be a sticky where it talks about recent chips like the crystal or dms4s' and what they have, their properties, functions, and capabilities etc...

10. brad82

brad82 Member

There not all that bad on the installation prices either. I charge $120 for the big ol ps2 and $150 for slims (includes laser fix). So what they charge $35 I would jump on that and buy your chip from www.mod-chip.com. Infinity is a great chip but I dont like cause you got to push buttons to get them to do stuff. DMS4 has the toxic bios and havent had a problem yet. I dont think Im gonna switch to anything else... GL

11. steimy

steimy Active member

Teammodders.com is a site with some great guys who do very good work and stand behind what they do.
    I have heard that Crystal Chip V2.0 or Matrix Infinity Green Dot are your best choices, and DMS4 Pro SE would be a close second. (they say that because the DMS4 has more faulty chips then the MI when they have done installs), but like above i have 2 of them (DMS4 Pro) and have never had a problem with mine.
    they also sell the chips (this price would be $35 install plus the below price if you just want to send the PS2 for an install)
    Matrix Infinity $55
    DMS4 Pro SE $60
    Crystal Chip V2.0 $50
    And getting the extra warranty of 90 days for only $8 is a great deal.(you get 30 days free)
    and do not forget shipping, UPS with insurance is about $15 for sending it in.

The only thing i wish my DMS4 Pro had that i was told the Crystal Chip V2.0 does is In Game Reset (IGR). I have that on my xbox and it is great. You can stop, save and quit your game, then press a set of buttons on the controller and it will reset the PS2 back to the main menu where you can just select another game (if your running a hard drive that is) and play without ever having to leave your seat.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007