1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 not reading anything, browser menu

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kdriadon, Mar 16, 2005.

1. kdriadon

kdriadon Member

i had the problem with the "clicking noise" caused by faulty laser arm. I fixed that and now i cant get any games to read. I even turned that white dial that changes the height of the laser and tried again after each click of the dial. Anyone have any other suggestions? I dont feel like shelling out another $150 to get another one.

2. williej

williej Regular member

I had a bad experience ... disk read error and constant clicking and jacking up my games. Followed directions found via the Web to correct the problem. Hogwash. Called Sony and told them the problem and they fixed the problem. Cost me $15 shipping but I got a new laser and junk. Call SCEA and they may able to help. Google their number ... it's toll free and they may do it for just actual shipping.

3. kdriadon

kdriadon Member

but was your system still under warranty?

4. williej

williej Regular member

Please. I bought the PS2 from a pawn shop ... I had removed the warranty seal and tried to repair it. However, I didn't try to mod it ... and they repaired it ... here's a copy of the e-mail ...

RE: #-######## Waived Fee

Dear PlayStation(R) Owner,

Thank you for contacting Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Package only your console - unless instructed otherwise by the phone representative - and send it to: San Diego SSC 16450 West Bernardo Dr. Building 3, Dock 30A San Diego, CA 92127-1989

Price: 0.00 Tax: 0.00
    Shipping: 0.00 Total: 0.00

Please fill in the information below and print two copies (include one copy with the console, retain the other for your records).

Name:
    Street:
    City, State, Zip Code:
    Telephone #:
    Serial #: ########
    Model #: SCPH30001

Description of Problem:

List Items Being Sent:

The following number is your Service Request Number (SR#): #-########. This number is used as a reference to ensure that you will not be charged for your repair. On the outside of the package containing your console, please print your full name, address and the SR#.

We recommend sending your console by Traceable or Insured Mail. Turn around time for all repairs is 15 to 20 working days from the time assigned to a technician; not including shipping and handling time.

The console will normally be returned to you via UPS Ground Insured. Your repaired/exchanged console will come with a new 90-day limited warranty. Please hold on to the invoice that arrives with your console, as this is proof of your new warranty.

Note that a diagnostic fee may be charged for consoles that the Service Center will not repair. These would include consoles that have been modified or tampered with; show signs of infestation or liquid damage; have had their serial numbers removed/defaced; or, the cost to repair exceeds the cost of a new console.

If you would like to check the status of your repair, click on this link http://www.us.playstation.com/support/repair/ or call us at 1-800-345-SONY.

5. DBZB126

DBZB126 Regular member

my laser clicks just when a game is loading and then quietens down. the game works.

it this serious???????

6. williej

williej Regular member

Your PS2 is about to have mad probs with the laser. I would call Sony if you haven't modded that junk. I paid $15 for a new Sony PS2. Flipped it on half.com for $125. You do the math ...

7. williej

williej Regular member

Just specify the disk read error. Apparently, Sony knew about the CONSISTENT disk read errors, yet rushed the PS2s into the consumer's hands ... it is caused by two reasons - playing DVDs on it a lot or standing the PS2 vertically. This applies to older PS2s, mind you.

Anyhow ... Sony will say 'Normally, you would be charged $100 for repairs, but we will waive it at this time.' They were cool about the repairs ... it's best to just do it quietly. That was back in late 2003. I dunno if they do it anymore, but since you have an older PS2, it's worth a try. Even if the warranty seal is broken, and you haven't installed a mod chip, call them. It wouldn't hurt ...

8. docdoom1

docdoom1 Member

Well, I put my stuff in my brother's PS2 and I get the same problem. I tried a DVD lens cleaner on both systems. I already have 2 games on my hard drive, so Ive already been using it, it just now decided to crap on me. If I put my hard drive in my PC, will it recognize it since its been formatted for HD Advance?

9. williej

williej Regular member

Yeah, but you have to install WinHIIP or PS2Handiness. Otherwise, XP will recognize your HD, but that's it. It won't show up in Explorer - you have to use those programs. Anyhow, it will show up and you can rip/delete/rename games and change modes with that software.