1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 not reading games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by meta1, Aug 31, 2004.

1. meta1

meta1 Regular member

Hi,

I have an un-modded PS2 with a problem.

I insert an ORIGINAL game into the console and wait for it to load in the browser, it will show the message 'Reading disc...' for about a minute and then gives me and error message 'Disc read error.'.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to solve this, I'm not keen on the idea of spending £99.99 on a new console.

Any help appreciated.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

call sony and bitch, they should fix it for free.

3. meta1

meta1 Regular member

had it for over 3-4years now though...

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i seen a thread somewhere about it, search around, you still might be able to do it.

5. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

if the laser is a 400b or c they cost around £25 and are simple to replace, if you want some more info on this just pm me

6. dwolfe99

dwolfe99 Member

i had the same problem for like 3 months. mine got to where it wouldn't read new games giving me the same message you get. i finally took it apart(which was real easy) got a qtip with some rubbing alcohol and cleaned the eye reader and it works like new now.

7. samp

samp Member

yer same here but it didnt work out to well wen i took it apart i cleaned the disc but wen iwas pulling it apart the thingy that holds the top lid and the bottom togther the little slip came out.....took me 5months to get a new one alot of washing dishes.....:(

8. dwolfe99

dwolfe99 Member

im not sure what little thingy you are talking about it is all together like 15 screws. take cover off set to side then you can see the few screws to take little cover off the disc tray is then you just clean the eye and put little cover back on then put big cover back on ps2 and your set. i just did it like a month ago!!!!

9. samp

samp Member

k thanx cheers

10. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

I heard that Sony lost a class action lawsuit against them because so many PS2 broke down so they agreed to fix all of the broken systems in lieu of paying a fine.

Of course, this is second-hand knowledge and I have no way of verifying this but most people seem to believe that if you say that you have a "Disc Read Error" to a Sony Rep. (repeatedly, you have to say that nothing works, even the diagnosis mode) they'll take the PS2 back (ie. you mail it back to them) and they'll fix it for you.

There's even a FAQ for this type of thing on gamefaqs.com

11. meta1

meta1 Regular member

Thanks for the information guys.

Just a few questions.

1. How do I tell what Laser I have? I know there are A-B-C lasers, on my PS2 it says it's a class C laser does this mean I need to buy a C Laser?

2. Where can I get the lasers? I have seen them for J45 but know they are cheaper but who and where can I buy them from?

3. I will try cleaning the lense the way you have described, I don't have any rubbing alcholo so would disc cleaner or just water do the same job?

4. I have Sony's UK phone number, if I can't fix the problem I shall ring them and either get it repaired or go and get myself a new version.

12. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

once you have opened your ps2 you can forget sony repairing it for free, if you've allready opened it then try cleaning the laser, and try adjusting the laser angle using the white cog at the back of the drive tray, you could also try adjusting the black screw on the laser arm, this will bring the lsaer closer ti the disc, when making any adjust ments make sure you mark the original position, and only turn the cog/screw a fraction at a time, these adjustments take a while to do, but they are very often succesfull.

if nothing works and you need a new laser, then you will have to remove the laser and look for the sticker underneath that has the # on it if it's a v4 or older it will be 400b/400c, you can get them off ebay for about £20 try this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11319&item=8126608656&rd=1,

they are simple to fit, if you want some help with it just pm me

13. meta1

meta1 Regular member

at the moment I have adjusted the black screw so that the laser is as high as it will go but still the console gives me a read error.

after adjusting the cog, if i still recieve a read error is this a problem with the laser?

I don't want to buy a new laser, fit it and find out that the problem still happens because if it does continue I may as well have just brought a new PS2.

14. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

it will be a laser problem, if the cog adjustment doesn't work then you could try adjusting the pots, but this is something I would ony recomend if you really know what your doing, if you don't get any joy with the cog, then replacing the laser is your best option

15. meta1

meta1 Regular member

thank you very much for your help, I shall speak to my father and get him to purchase a new laser from the link you provided.

seeing as my console is running on a SCPH-30003 R setup I presume that the laser i need to purchase a replacement for either v4 or v5.. I shall check my console version first of course.

thanks once again, you have been a great help and have saved me a lot of money in the process :)

16. meta1

meta1 Regular member

Could there also be a problem with the magnets in the white CD Spindal at the top of the DVD Tray?

17. zxspeky

zxspeky Regular member

I doubt it very much, but you could try taking the top off the dvd drive, and removing the magnet, then put a disc on the hub and just place the magnet on top, if it has a strong enough hold, turn on the ps2 and see if it reads the disc, the magnet is all that holds the disc on the hub when the lid is on, so it won't come flying off, you could place the ps2 cover over it before switching on just for your own safety though.

18. meta1

meta1 Regular member

Sadly it is the laser but I shall not be replacing it, I'd rather get a new PS2.

Those lasers are refurbished so they could die as mine has, I'll just get an extended guarantee on this PS2!

Thanks anyway.

19. penguin77

penguin77 Member

if u opened your ps2 then your warrenty is gone u should have called sony they would have fixed it for free especially if u bought it five years ago

20. flyswater

flyswater Member

dude...its obvoius that the freaking problem is with your ps2. . .its old..very old. you should just get a new one instead of wasting your money on lasers :)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]www.xanga.com/flyswater182[/small]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004