1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 not wanting to read?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by hedmunky, Mar 11, 2005.

1. hedmunky

hedmunky Member

I bought GT4 so it is a retail copy. It played fine but lately it just sits there and says reading disc. I have to eject and a couple of times and finally Ill hear it spin up and then the disc will show up and I can play it. Im thinking my laser is going out. This is my 3rd PS2 the 1st 2 stoped reading the blue bottom discs (a.k.a CDs). Its a version SPCH 30001 R

2. hedmunky

hedmunky Member

i think this thread fell under the radar so im gonna bump it back to the top

3. Banzai

Banzai Member

Hi, the same thing happened to me on my last ps2 while playing MGS2 substance which is a DVD-9 a dual layer DVD. Similarly, GT4 is also a dual layer DVD and the ps2 needs more lens power in order to read those type of games (there are very few DVD9 games around- only four that i know of).

Also, the fact that you have a V3 ps2 means the laser is quite weak compared to later versions. Your best bet is to clean the laser by opening up your ps2- try looking around for guides- there are plenty of FAQS that show you the procedure.

Hope that helps,

The Gaut

4. LzrdQueen

LzrdQueen Guest

I bought my PS2 at a pawn shop LoL very very cheap. It wouldnt play anything. I used a DVD cleaner disc and it plays great now. They are like 10$

Who knows if it will work but its worth a shot. They get alot of dust in them!