1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ps2 online gaming questions?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by sandy10, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sandy10

sandy10 Member

Sorry if this is the wrong section but couldn't find specifics.
    My query relates to online gaming,i have a slim ps2 and my isp is aol at 2.2 mbps with the Voyager 105.I have heard that you DEFINITELY need a router BUT ive also heard you don't!Which is correct and if i do need one which is the best/cheapest etc.Ive heard people talk about some kind of switch/hub that cuts out the need for a router.Im not fussed about having my pc and console online at the same time,could this be why people need a router?
    Also is it possible to patch backups so they pass dnas test or do you definately need the original purchased game playing to successfully play online?Sorry about the backup chat but i didn't want to waste your time with separate threads about the same subject (ish).
    Cheers.

2. IM1

IM1 Regular member

Well you dont really need a router but i highly reccomend it.
    Theres two ways you can connect..
    1. Use a router, which would replace your modem or whatever you currently have to connect to the internet. try using ebay or gumtree, loads of cheap routers there.
    2. Access Point, with an access point you basicly a hub of connection, connect your modem to this a and this will distribute it to the ethernet cables and wirelessly if you buy one with that feature.

3. sandy10

sandy10 Member

Which is the cheapest option and which routers are recommended.Im not tight but its only for gaming every now and then so as cheap as poss please!
    Cheers.

4. IM1

IM1 Regular member

access points are usually cheaper but only by a very little amount.
    if you looked around a little you get get yourself a bargain on routers.
    heres ones that is only £4!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Binatone-ADSL-Broadband-2000-Modem-Router_W0QQitemZ130126555146QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belkin-F5D763...QQihZ019QQcategoryZ101269QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    and this was from searching in 2 minutes. but then again you get what you pay for so dont expect superfast, stable connections.

if i was you i would buy something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-30...Brand-New_W0QQitemZ130126558381QQcmdZViewItem
    this is from a company you can really trust. iv had two d-link routers and have never had problems with them what so ever! HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

5. sandy10

sandy10 Member

Thanks mate,your efforts are appreciated.I just imagined getting somthing silly like netgear but the 45 quid jobs!So i dont need any specific just a router.My modem is only a Voyager 105,basic as u like no ethernet just usb and rj45.Is this a problem or is that why i need the router as thats ethernet...Isnt it.I told you im not very technical
    (did i?).
    Anyway,thanks.