1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 online question. Answers from UK only.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by teggy, Nov 16, 2004.

1. teggy

teggy Regular member

I don't know if this question fits here however I will ask as it shouldn't take up to much time.

I have bt/yahoo adsl 1mb. Now the modem is a Speedtouch 330 USB, it has one socket from which the phone line goes from my room to the ADSL Microfilter. I don't think the line is an RJ45 line I think it is just a regular phone line with two small connecters at either end.

How would I go about connecting my PS2 network adapter to the Modem without buying a router and without any network cards.

I have enclosed a link to an image which displays the back of my modem. I'm sure that the line is not a network or RJ-45 but a regular phone line that goes from my modem to the ADSL Microfilter

http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/i/uk/adsl/y/bb40117.gif

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  2. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Ive got the exact same modem, your only options are:
    1. Buy a router.
    2. Buy a network card.
    3. Buy a new modem.

The connector your talking about is just a standard phone connector, unfortunately as the other connector is a USB, these are your only options.

3. teggy

teggy Regular member

Thanks man, I guess I would go for the network card. But um with a network card how would that work cuz the Modem only came with the usb plug and its attached to the modem.

But I think a router may be the best option as I dnt want to have my pc on whilst my ps2 is online. that's another 45£ damnit.

Thanks for the help though.

4. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

You leave the modem connected to your PC as normal. Fit a network card into your PC and connect that to your PS2 network card using a crossover cat 5 cable.
    I have mine connected this way, yes you have to have your PC on when online but thats no real hassle, certainly the cheaper option anyhow.

5. teggy

teggy Regular member

So um... don't get me wrong(this has always confuddled me) The Modem will not be connected to the network card in my pc or the ps2 network adapter. Just a straight forward job of installing network card in PCI then getting a crossover cat 5 cable and plugging it into the network card and then the other end to my PS2. There's no funky setup you have to do to make it work with ur ps2? cuz if the modem aint attached to the ps2 or the network card how does it work. Sorry for all the questions, obviously it works if you are the same setup as me but i'm jsut curious.

Also network cards they are reasonably cheap right or do I have to get a decent one, same applies for the crossover cable.

Thank you.

PS: I may ahve just realised. A network card isn't an ethernet card is it. Network obviously used for networking. Dur to me. lol.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  6. teggy

teggy Regular member

Option 2 - ICS Connection

1: Turn off your PlayStation 2 console, your cable or ADSL modem, and your computer.

2: Plug a straight through network cable into your cable or ADSL modem and into one of your computer’s free network cards.

3: Plug a crossover cable into the second of your computer’s free network cards and into your Network Adaptor (Ethernet) (for PlayStation 2).

4: Switch on your cable or ADSL modem and then your computer and check that your computer can access the Internet fine.

5: Install, and configure Internet Connection Sharing.

6: Turn on your PlayStation 2 console, insert the Network Access Disc and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note: The network cable supplied with your Network Adaptor (Ethernet) (for PlayStation 2) is not a crossover cable and should not be used for ICS connection.

I take it that is your method? So obviously I would skip point 2 as the modem has no network plugs as its plugged into a USB slot. Then we go straight to point 3 and do as you said with the crossover cable.
    But do I need to install ICS?

7. teggy

teggy Regular member

Thanks dude, I went to my work's local computer shop and got sorted. I have XP so ICS is np.

But after i bought the card and cable I got into work and realised... All I needed was the crossover cable.

My motherboard a Giga-Byte GA-7N400-L has built in network support. I remembered disabling it as it wasn't getting used. Now I have to return the card but still happy days, ICS is already installed so i'm ready to go as soon as I get my PS2 network adapter.

just to clarify though, this is my motherboard spec:

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7N400-L.htm

Can you tell from that if I can plug the crossover cable into the RJ45 port instead of installing the network card?

Thanks for answering anyways, if you hadn't have answered I would never have realised that my PC has network supprot already.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  8. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Yep, no problem. Looks like your motherboard has the network adaptor built in, so just plug your x-over cable into the RJ45 connector.
    You may have to activate ICS in you Internet options.
    To do this:
    1. Click TOOLS, then INTERNET OPTIONS...
    2. Click CONNECTIONS tab
    3. Click SETTINGS...
    4. Click PROPERTIES
    5. Click ADVANCED tab
    6. Tick all 3 boxes in INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING

Hope this helps, if I can help you further let me know.

9. teggy

teggy Regular member

Thanks mac,

Btw, just out of curiosity, which method do you use?

10. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Exact same setup as you, also using WinXP.

11. teggy

teggy Regular member

Happy days, shouldn't have to much trouble.

Thanks for the help man, thing is only online game I have at the mo is XIII. Getting NFSU2 on friday(well renting and backing up).

Thanks again :)

12. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

No probs, also recommend SOCOM2.
    Let me know how you get on.

13. teggy

teggy Regular member

Hi it seemed to go ok, passed all setup tests on PS2 after a little bit of fiddling with settings. It didnt work at first as I had bt/yahoo as default therefore when I connected the LAN it auto dialed upto BT and disconnected. So I dont havea default now and got online.

Problem is, it's been connecting for about 5 minutes. BT/yahoo is connected and so is the LAN. what could be the problem?

14. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Hve you set the ICS up?

15. teggy

teggy Regular member

I got it sorted, it just decided to hang.

I reset it and made sure I had no default connection set on the PC. Now when I boot the PS2 and have BT running it auto connects the ICS LAN connection and connects.

I played XIII for a bit and got smoked, FPS on PS2 online is gonna take a while. I'm now waiting for my PIN. When I get my PIN and enter it, will they still send me Hardware online arena?

Oh and many thanks for hte advice. I did need the network card, the driver I installed for realtime lan was just a driver for that part of the chipset, but it all went to plan in the end.

16. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Ah, you just reminded me, they sent me Hardware Arena the otherday. Havent played it yet, is it supposed to be any good?

17. teggy

teggy Regular member

I dunno :S

How long did it take to recieve it?

And another question each time I try to connect it tells me there is no Central station data
    So I create some and then get to the log in screen. It doesnt save my handle when I disconnect, so when I enter my details it brings me to the enter PIN screen. That means i am registered just cant use the central station service or what?

18. teggy

teggy Regular member

Ah it's ok now, I have got the CS data saved now it connects np.

How long ahve u had your PS2 online for?

Do you have MSN?

19. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Been on-line since about May this year, mainly play SOCOM2, but dont get to play nearly enough with work and DIY and that crap. Want Star Wars Battle Front next and a good on-line racer.
    Er, recieved Hardware Arena about 1 - 2 weeks ago, but I think they've only just started giving it out with the new Central Station disc.
    Yes I use MSN.

20. teggy

teggy Regular member

awww, i though I would get it after entering the PIN when I get it. Damn, I got the first stuff today with the Adapter. All I really want is that free game... i'll have to wait ages now :(

You should get killzone in two weeks and either Burnout 3 or NFSU 1/2 they would be your best bet for online games. And if like me you can't go and just buy games, then rent, rip, burn and return. Naughty but nice.

Try SSX3 also.