1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 ONLY PLAYS CD AND PS1

Discussion in 'PS2' started by UNKKLE, Apr 30, 2007.

1. UNKKLE

UNKKLE Guest

MY PS2 ONLY PLAYS PS1 GAMES AND AUDIO CD'S.I ASSUME ITS A LATER MODEL THAN DA 1 WITH DA BIG GEAR BEHIND DA LASER,CUZ....WELL ITS NOT THERE! CAN ANY1 HELP?

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Talk with no caps. I believe that was a forum rule you agreed to although I could be wrong too. Anyway, be more specific because it's a bit too general for me to decipher. SCPH number? PS2 version? What PS2 exactly? Answering those questions could easily indicate what the problem would be more precisely rather than this ambiguous question of something unknown... Anyway, I'm assuming you have a fat PS2, possibly a v7 and worn down your laser considerably to the point where it can only read CDs well enough and your DVDs with a 10% success rate. You have a few choices: get a new PS2 or replace the laser. About the big gear, do you mean the white cog?

3. UNKKLE

UNKKLE Guest

didnt really read the rules,jus clickd next........anywho, its a scph 5000-1. i read on a few other sites dat if u spin da gear clockwise a few times u could re-align da laser.since this version doesnt have 1 of those,i was tryna see if it was sumthin else i could try b4 jus replacin the laser.oh yea,i also the "clean it with a q-tip and alcohol"method

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Hmm, the guide I know of and which you probably know of too is of the one with the SCPH-30001 laser adjustment guide. As for you trying to re-align the laser on your v9 PS2 I believe, you don't see any white cogs at all even after removing the top of the CD/DVD drive? My reference: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/431169

EDIT: It should be there. It just isn't as obvious compared to the guide I believe you and me might have been looking upon where the white cog is as clear as day compared to the later/older fat PS2s. Try to carefully look around until you see it. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  5. UNKKLE

UNKKLE Guest

theres 2 dime size gears in the back,1 on the left and 1 on the right

6. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

The PS2 optical drive is widely known to be faulty, resulting in Disc Read Errors. The earliest drives suffered from a constantly misaligning laser lens but later defects were the result of a shift in voltage to the laser itself. The first problem was relatively easy to remedy, but it required opening the machine's casing and tweaking a cog that controlled the lens' distance from the discs it was supposed to read. The second fix involves the use of an oscillator.

Another issue causing DRE's is wear on the part coupling the head assembly to the worm gear that moves the laser. A symptom of this is a loud repetitive clicking sound. The part is commonly plastic and prone to wear or break. Metal replacements are available from third parties.

Try the following:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars/3
    http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/ps2diy/

If that fails, I'd buy/steal a new laser assembly.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  7. YoungGeek

YoungGeek Member

Yeah, almost every ps2 is notorious for their lasers, well whatever route you take to repair it, good luck!

8. BadBone

BadBone Guest

as a last resort, you can try adjusting the lens voltage.

On the underside of the lens there are two resistors, one for adjusting the voltage for reading CD and the other for DVD.

Find the one marked DVD and try adjusting that one. But first make sure to mark the original location witha fine point marker in case you need to turn it back.

To increase the voltage, turn the screw marked DVD right a little at a time then test after each move.

Be careful when removing the lens as the ribbon cables that are attached to it can be damaged easily after a couple times pulling them out.

check this site out

ps2repairs.amenet.co.uk/laser.htm

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  9. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

well from wot i read u open ur ps2 take everything out except the dvd drive then after that take out and then tighten the screws this might do it because of the allignment with the laser it may fix it
    hope this helps

scott2k7