1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 plays dvd's but not cd's need help figureing out what to replace.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mucktar, May 10, 2008.

1. mucktar

mucktar Member

i have a v7 ps2 and i have a problem with loading cd's i can play all my ps2 games flawlessly because they are on dvd. but i want to play the translated tales of phantasia and that is a psone game. now when i put the cd in the drive it revs up and makes a loud grinding and clicking noise. i dont get this with ps2 games or dvd's. it on a rare occasion will boot cd games and psone games. i know it is not my mod chip because i am a pro at soldering and it is a flawless install and i have had this problem before i put the chip in. the other thing that bothers me is one cd always loads flawlessly also and that is my action replay for ps2. the ar has no grinding noise but other ps2 cd games do. no the main question is should i replace the laser witch will run me about $45-60 or should i get a new motor drive for thingy that spins the cd/dvd $15-20. i think i should get the motor because i don't think its the laser making the noise.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. drklrd1

drklrd1 Member

Not reading cd's but will read DVD's, usually a laser problem.
    But you mention a grinding noise, try cleaning your PS2

3. mucktar

mucktar Member

that is what i normally do( this is my like 9th ps2 i mod them fix them up and sell them).i did my normal posses. normally i first adjust the distance of the laser then clean it with alcohol then if that dost work i adjust the laser intensity on the bottom of the laser unit. i tried this all and nothing happens. but what gets me is the noise dost happen if it is a ps2 cd like ar. do psone grams spin differently. and if i need to replace the laser does anyone know a cheap place to get one. the cheapest i have seen is like $45 usd on psxbox.net.

4. t0nito

t0nito Member

Hi, I don't know if you solved your problem but I had the exact same problem, it started this monday, one way to check if your problem is the same as mine is to look at your cds, they will have circular scatches near the center, test those cd by putting little strips of scotch tape near the center hole of the cd, one on each side, if your ps2 reads the cd, then the problem is that plasic thing that presses the cd against the spindle isn't gripping right and the cd slips making it reving up like crazy and making really loud noises. What I have done was open up my ps2 remove the the drive cover and I put electrical tape on that part that presses against the spindle and cut it with an x-acto knife to make a nice ring of electrical tape so now the cds have much better grip on the spindle. So far my ps2 is reading every cd I put in with no problems. The reason that it still read dvds and not cds is because cds rotate at a much higher speed, dvds don't require such a big grip because the rotate much slower.

Many people say their ps2 are dead and need a replacement laser, but I think 90% of them are only dirty lens or they need some lube on the rails or have minor problems like this one. There are 20 year old audio cd players that still work like new, lasers aren't just burning up all the time like some people think...

I hope this info was helpful, and people, before thinking about trashing your ps2s or spending money on lasers check these little thing out first. ;)

5. mucktar

mucktar Member

wow omg. i put tape on the center of a game that would never play befor. pooped it in turned it on boom starts right up no grinding no clicking and it is working perfectly. i thank you so much. this is a life saver. i was going to buy new parts that would have done nothing. if i ever see you in rl i have to give you a cookie. electrical tape rocks

6. t0nito

t0nito Member

cool glad I could help someone, I opened up my ps2 and put the tape in so it would be a more permanent solution, but if you don't want to open up your ps2 you can always put the scotch strips on every cd :p