1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 problem with double layers only

Discussion in 'PS2' started by keveng15, Mar 3, 2005.

1. keveng15

keveng15 Member

i tried searching the forum.. but.. maybe i'm jus incompetent... anyhow. .hope people here can help me out.

my ps2 can read everything fine from original ps2 cd games to dvd-r, cd-r .. now my problem here is.. it can't read double layer disc...... i hv original GT4 and the back-up version of GT4... and.. well i hv no luck booting it. I was wondering if the laser is jus getting old?? or.. maybe i need to adjust the laser?? coz i took it apart b4 to change the servo gear... but i had no problem with the ps2 until now.. so.. i was wondering if anyone had this problem...

thx =)

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Do you mean it will not load the original GT4?
    Or is it just the back up that won't load?

3. keveng15

keveng15 Member

The Original as well as back up GT4 won't load..
    i believe it'd the problem regarding double layer disc.
    and i shud add that the ps2 doesnt' make any high spinning sound neither does it show a disc read error msg...
    it jus fails to boot and goes to the browser/system menu.... >_<

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  4. steimy

steimy Active member

i guess you could try adjusting and cleaning the laser, it may help? When i had to adjust mine it would just sit there and spin and nothing ever came up on the screen at all. It's worth a try.
    But i really have no idea what is causing it.

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

is your PS2 modded? Some chips won't recognize a DVD9 game. There's usually a way to disable the chip though.

6. keveng15

keveng15 Member

i actually tried cleaning the laser .. no luck..
    so then i adjusted the laser thru the gear @ the top.. it moves it closer or farther right?
    well no luck with that either..
    i cudnt' adjust the tilt of the laser coz i didn thv one of those screw drivers.. but i dont' think that's the problem....

i actually got the GT4 to run once.. after many resets... but that was it.... so..........i dunno is it the actual laser getting old???? i dunno =(

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

could be. how old is it? do you lay it flat or stand it up on its side? I imagine that standing it up on its side isn't good for the laser, you know, with gravity and all...