1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps2 problems with cdr games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jltbro, Nov 20, 2004.

1. jltbro

jltbro Member

Just want to ask you learned folk some questions.

I’ve got a modified ps2 and recently I’ve been having a few issues with it. The dvdr games play fine, however cdr games have trouble playing. The ps2 makes a ticking noise when I put in a cdr, sometimes it kicks into life, other times it just makes a ticking noise and wheezes (you know the kind of noise that emanates from a disc spinning and stopping) without starting. I cleaned the cdr’s and the ps2 of dust (the outer casing with a vacuum that is, not technically savvy enough to open the beast), and all the games work now, however you can still tell the ps2 is working hard and it still ticks and wheezes before it kicks into life. I’ve think it’s only the dvd-rip’s on cdr which has the problem, I think the cd based games on cdr work fine without any weird noises. But I’m not too sure since I only have two cd-based games on cdr which I’ve tested – not enough sample to come up with a definitive judgement.

2. Estranged

Estranged Member

You may have to clean your lens? Im not sure how to do that for sure. Somebody told me a Qtip but dont take my word for it.

3. jltbro

jltbro Member

what do you exactly mean q tip?

4. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

I have this very same problem, my PS2 refuses to play DVDR's unless I stand the thing on its side, it boots fine then! Strange eh?

5. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Sounds like your laser is trying to focus very hard and thats why it makes that noise.

You may need to re-align it with the white cog at a few turns at a time.

It could be that the lens is dirty so just blow it or use a q-tip to clean it.

6. jltbro

jltbro Member

Cheers Lads

I'll try all those. I hope it's that simple.